WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Just about at 20lbs!

Fully loaded backpack with 7 days food is at 20.5lbs! And when I figure out that I don't need a backup canister of fuel, it should drop under 20 lbs!

Woo hoo! Looking forward to my trip in 2 weeks!
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

and now that my load is light I can upgrade next year to a UL backpack and shave at least 21 ounces off!

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    and now that my load is light I can upgrade next year to a UL backpack and shave at least 21 ounces off!
    Why wait? Years ago when I first started backpacking in 1989 and throughout the 1990s, I used a book bag that cost $10 - $20. Nothing fancy, just something kids used for school. It wasn't as light as light today's UL packs but depending on which pack I found weight in around 8 oz for not a lot of money. It going a little old school but it still works. Just an option.

Wolf

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf - 23000 View Post
    Why wait? Years ago when I first started backpacking in 1989 and throughout the 1990s, I used a book bag that cost $10 - $20. Nothing fancy, just something kids used for school. It wasn't as light as light today's UL packs but depending on which pack I found weight in around 8 oz for not a lot of money. It going a little old school but it still works. Just an option.

Wolf
    My pack is 2 lbs 8 oz. I can't really get much less than that unless I go to one of the new fabrics. And since my husband and I already bought me a new tent and sleeping bag from zpacks this year, a new backpack will have to wait until next year.

My pack is 2 lbs 8 oz. I can't really get much less than that unless I go to one of the new fabrics. And since my husband and I already bought me a new tent and sleeping bag from zpacks this year, a new backpack will have to wait until next year.
    2 lbs 8 oz. is a lot heavier than the packs that I used for my thru-hikes even back in the 1990s. In K-Mart for example, under kids school supplies are school book bags that are less than a pound. No special fabrics needed just plain nylon. If you keep your total pack weight in the 10 - 15 pound range, it is really all you need.

Wolf

Wolf

2 lbs 8 oz. is a lot heavier than the packs that I used for my thru-hikes even back in the 1990s. In K-Mart for example, under kids school supplies are school book bags that are less than a pound. No special fabrics needed just plain nylon. If you keep your total pack weight in the 10 - 15 pound range, it is really all you need.

Wolf

Wolf
    Thanks. I certainly did pay big bucks for this pack so for now I am happy with it. I got it at an end of season sale at REI for $69 a few years back. It fits very well and is comfortable over all the terrain I have been on. Maybe I will check out the backpacks come "back to school" season and see how they fare for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wolf

Wolf
    And you might find one with Dora the Explorer on it. An added bonus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well done! Was watching a video of a guy who proudly stated at the beginning of the hike that fully loaded he was 13 pounds. The first night he slept in his tent. The second night he spent 2 days in town. Then he was back in his tent and ordering pizza. The next day he had run out of food.

Quote Originally Posted by TTT View Post
    Well done! Was watching a video of a guy who proudly stated at the beginning of the hike that fully loaded he was 13 pounds. The first night he slept in his tent. The second night he spent 2 days in town. Then he was back in his tent and ordering pizza. The next day he had run out of food.
    won't be me! I don't eat pizza.

GA-ME Feb. 27th–July 1st, 2016 lwhikerchris's Avatar

won't be me! I don't eat pizza.
    lol you will...
    John GoodMan

Images

What temperatures are you carrying gear for?
    What is your actual food weight for 7 days?
    Does 20.5 lbs include water carried?

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    What temperatures are you carrying gear for?
    What is your actual food weight for 7 days?
    Does 20.5 lbs include water carried?

My bag is rated at 40. I can go a little below that and still be snug.

My food weight is just under 7 lbs. I freeze dry all my own. see the thread in my signature.

Does not include water. Mostly I hike with 1 liter, depends on sources.

Gear list?

Quote Originally Posted by Maineiac64 View Post
    Gear list?
    It's late now but maybe I will get to it tomorrow?

Images

My bag is rated at 40. I can go a little below that and still be snug...
    Hopefully that's a conservative WM, or other quality bag with a true to temp rating - and you have extra insulation to add to it if you hit a couple of really cold nights. It's not summer yet in the mountains. Average lows in GSMNP in early May is around 40°. But daily deviations from that average can be substantial - like lows in the 20's. Pack weight is only meaningful when environmental conditions, and hence gear required, is known. It's nice to have a lighter pack. It's even nicer to be warm.

Hopefully that's a conservative WM, or other quality bag with a true to temp rating - and you have extra insulation to add to it if you hit a couple of really cold nights. It's not summer yet in the mountains. Average lows in GSMNP in early May is around 40°. But daily deviations from that average can be substantial - like lows in the 20's. Pack weight is only meaningful when environmental conditions, and hence gear required, is known. It's nice to have a lighter pack. It's even nicer to be warm.
    I am well aware of mountains. Been in the Whites many a time. I have a zpacks 40 degree bag, a silk liner, silk long johns (these things add like 10 degrees to ME) plus shorts and shirt for sleeping. A long sleeve and my puffy jacket that I used to wear exclusively in MA and NH in terrible temps and my head buff. I will be quite comfy down into the 30s and high 20's. Low 20's may be a little uncomfortable, maybe.

Images

I am well aware of mountains. Been in the Whites many a time. I have a zpacks 40 degree bag, a silk liner, silk long johns (these things add like 10 degrees to ME) plus shorts and shirt for sleeping. A long sleeve and my puffy jacket that I used to wear exclusively in MA and NH in terrible temps and my head buff. I will be quite comfy down into the 30s and high 20's. Low 20's may be a little uncomfortable, maybe.
    Sorry to second guess you. Just concerned a bit as our northern blood thins out a bit after being in TX for a while Sounds like you got it covered. Have a great hike!

Sorry to second guess you. Just concerned a bit as our northern blood thins out a bit after being in TX for a while Sounds like you got it covered. Have a great hike!
    Thank you. I hear that about the blood thinning! And I'm brave enough to admit when I make mistakes so I will post up a trip report when I get back.

Thank you. I hear that about the blood thinning! And I'm brave enough to admit when I make mistakes so I will post up a trip report when I get back.
    If hemoglobin was that important, us high altitude folks would be able to hike the AT on a sack of Snickers.

Journal Entries

My bag is rated to 20°and I plan on bringing a liner too! Being cold is a bummer!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    CSS

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++