WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Good at killing mice also....a few years back a family had a blast watching him hunt down the resident rodents and give them a few shakes...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    See they're dual purpose! I like that.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Good at killing mice also....a few years back a family had a blast watching him hunt down the resident rodents and give them a few shakes...

Oddly the German Shepherd I saw do the same thing to a terrier didn't have the same level of glee associated with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    Oddly the German Shepherd I saw do the same thing to a terrier didn't have the same level of glee associated with it.
    Must not have been a Manc. My standard Manc is GTG against any dog. He won't hesitate to go down a badger hole and bring the bugger out and have his way with it. His record is impressive. Two groundhogs, one badger, one coyote, countless skunks, racoons, possum. The last dog that tried him was a 90 pound Lab. The lab needed stitches and almost an eye...

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    Must not have been a Manc. My standard Manc is GTG against any dog. He won't hesitate to go down a badger hole and bring the bugger out and have his way with it. His record is impressive. Two groundhogs, one badger, one coyote, countless skunks, racoons, possum. The last dog that tried him was a 90 pound Lab. The lab needed stitches and almost an eye...
    Well you know what they say.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Well you know what they say.

One of the best movies, ever!

You have to look for the cameos in the film to get a bigger kick. Do you realize who the lead soccer hooligan is in real life? Did you catch Matt Damon, Diedrich Bader, Joanna Lumley and Lucy Lawless? This movie is hilarious!

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

One of the best movies, ever!

You have to look for the cameos in the film to get a bigger kick. Do you realize who the lead soccer hooligan is in real life? Did you catch Matt Damon, Diedrich Bader, Joanna Lumley and Lucy Lawless? This movie is hilarious!
    I certainly did! Did you know that when the instructions they gave to the casting directlr for the lead hooligan was to get "someone like Vinne Jones" since they never thought for a second that he'd be interested in the role.

The screenplay was also written by Matt Damon's old college buddies, which is how they got him to do the cameo.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    I certainly did! Did you know that when the instructions they gave to the casting directlr for the lead hooligan was to get "someone like Vinne Jones" since they never thought for a second that he'd be interested in the role.

The screenplay was also written by Matt Damon's old college buddies, which is how they got him to do the cameo.
    Matt Damon is way smarter than he looks and is the smarter of the Affleck/Damon duo. Just sayin...

What does "the last dog that tried him" mean to you? As one with a dog, particularly on public trail and around other people and dogs, it is my OUR responsibility NOT to let our dogs go at it. If this is you and your dog's behavior to all that wildlife, that you may choose to call varmints, this is the type of irresponsible dog ownership on trail on public property that causes non dog owners to have animosity towards dogs and dog owners. Then, you boast about this type of behavior? Please tell us what you described has/is occurred/occurring on your own private property at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    And, that is based in ignorance and selfishness.
    And I think a lot of people would find that reply ignorant and selfish...

What does "the last dog that tried him" mean to you? As one with a dog, particularly on public trail and around other people and dogs, it is my OUR responsibility NOT to let our dogs go at it. If this is you and your dog's behavior to all that wildlife, that you may choose to call varmints, this is the type of irresponsible dog ownership on trail on public property that causes non dog owners to have animosity towards dogs and dog owners. Then, you boast about this type of behavior? Please tell us what you described has/is occurred/occurring on your own private property at least.
    Geez, I go for a hike and almost missed this retort, of sorts...

Where, exactly, do you think he is killing badgers, groundhogs, coyotes, skunks, possum and raccoons?

The AT?
    The local bike trail?

Where?

Yeah. MY acreage. MY woods. MY hayfields. Just sayin...

However, let me give you, Dog-ma, a hypothetical to see what you know about dogs. You are walking your dog on lead. A dog(it doesn't matter if it is a stray or owned) not on lead runs up to you and your dog and growls, hackles up and shows teeth to your dog. Do you: A. Reach down, put yourself between your dog and the aggressor, and pick up your dog? B. Keep your dog firmly on lead while the other dog attacks you or your dog? C. Say "Bad doggie, go away!" D. Back up slowly, still keeping your dog on lead? E. Realize that you are faced with an aggressive dog who isn't on lead and may attack you or your dog. You don't know, do you? So, do you drop your dog's lead and let him do what he was bred for.? Protect you first and himself second? What do YOU do, oh wise Dog-ma? I bet you are the guy that gets right in-between two dogs fighting to break it up, with his bare hands!. Or the guy that says "Bad doggie! What's up with your Karma?" as he or his dog is mauled. Hope your all-natural healing allows for cat-gut sutures....just sayin....

Dogs have a hard time defending you or themselves when you won't drop the lead. And, remember, when your dog is free, it is now two against one. Bad news for the aggressor dog.

Now, this all changes if your dog is a chihuahua and the aggressor is a pit bull. But what were you doing with a chihuahua in the first place? I've had cats a chihuahua should fear...

It's kinda like the old bar dilemma. You are in a bar and a drunk with a mean attitude comes up to you, gets right in your face and yells that he is going to kick your ass. Do you wait to see if he is telling the truth? Do you turn your back and try to run? Do you deal with the drunk before he has a chance to make good on his threat? Options 1 and 2 leave a lot of opportunity for you to get your ass kicked, or worse, don't they? Is there an Option 4? Remember, you didn't start the fire...

Geez, I go for a hike and almost missed this retort, of sorts...

Where, exactly, do you think he is killing badgers, groundhogs, coyotes, skunks, possum and raccoons?

The AT?
    The local bike trail?

Where?

Yeah. MY acreage. MY woods. MY hayfields. Just sayin...

However, let me give you, Dog-ma, a hypothetical to see what you know about dogs. You are walking your dog on lead. A dog(it doesn't matter if it is a stray or owned) not on lead runs up to you and your dog and growls, hackles up and shows teeth to your dog. Do you: A. Reach down, put yourself between your dog and the aggressor, and pick up your dog? B. Keep your dog firmly on lead while the other dog attacks you or your dog? C. Say "Bad doggie, go away!" D. Back up slowly, still keeping your dog on lead? E. Realize that you are faced with an aggressive dog who isn't on lead and may attack you or your dog. You don't know, do you? So, do you drop your dog's lead and let him do what he was bred for.? Protect you first and himself second? What do YOU do, oh wise Dog-ma? I bet you are the guy that gets right in-between two dogs fighting to break it up, with his bare hands!. Or the guy that says "Bad doggie! What's up with your Karma?" as he or his dog is mauled. Hope your all-natural healing allows for cat-gut sutures....just sayin....

Dogs have a hard time defending you or themselves when you won't drop the lead. And, remember, when your dog is free, it is now two against one. Bad news for the aggressor dog.

Now, this all changes if your dog is a chihuahua and the aggressor is a pit bull. But what were you doing with a chihuahua in the first place? I've had cats a chihuahua should fear...

It's kinda like the old bar dilemma. You are in a bar and a drunk with a mean attitude comes up to you, gets right in your face and yells that he is going to kick your ass. Do you wait to see if he is telling the truth? Do you turn your back and try to run? Do you deal with the drunk before he has a chance to make good on his threat? Options 1 and 2 leave a lot of opportunity for you to get your ass kicked, or worse, don't they? Is there an Option 4? Remember, you didn't start the fire...
    Just curious why do you allow your dog to kill wildlife? Yea mice and rats could care less but the others seems needless..."MY WOODS".....last time I checked the wildlife was there first and has a right to too be...My JRT goes after animals at home also but i do my best to keep both safe... just last night he caught a coon but I distracted him so it could get away. A few weeks prior it was a opossum...I agree with you terriers are fiesty as hell! Mines like a mini pit bull...has no fear!

Just curious why do you allow your dog to kill wildlife? Yea mice and rats could care less but the others seems needless..."MY WOODS".....last time I checked the wildlife was there first and has a right to too be...My JRT goes after animals at home also but i do my best to keep both safe... just last night he caught a coon but I distracted him so it could get away. A few weeks prior it was a opossum...I agree with you terriers are fiesty as hell! Mines like a mini pit bull...has no fear!

Sigh. Coyotes cause damage, kill pets(barn cats too), worry livestock and horses. They must go. Either I do it or the dog. They drug a cat of mine off the porch when I was inside the house. They aren't afraid. Buh-Bye...
    Skunk are rabies carrying vermin. I don't hunt them, but the dog is free to...
    Groundhogs undermine my land and my home/buildings, buh-bye...me or the dog...
    Raccoons are disease carrying vermin that cause no end of trouble. Yeah, I know...cute....until they cost you time and money...buh-bye...
    Badgers....need I say more?

Yeah, I moved to the critters, right? Well...how many generations of humans on this land do we have to go back to place blame? The title stretches to before statehood...

You maintain your farm the way you see fit. If you aren't into critter control, then you aren't farming/ranching or don't have a home with acreage in the woods...just sayin...

Anyone else feeling the funk of a too-long cloudy winter?
    I need me some long days of sunshine.
    … Just saying …

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post

BTW, you said you had reviewed all the dog threads. How about this one?
    https://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthr...ers?highlight=
    I guess I missed that one due to it being in the general thread. Thank you.

Journal Entries

And big thanks to the rest of you! Sounds like some people had some pretty traumatizing experiences with dogs on the trail. It seems to be a very heated topic.

Dogs have just as much right to sleep in a shelter as humans do. For all of the things people complain about dogs in shelters you can say the same or worse about people's children or just people in general. Shelters are what happens when you put 10 strangers in a dirty wooden box for 8 to 12 hours...you will find some of their habits offensive whether they are humans or dogs.

Not worth replying.......

Quote Originally Posted by Traillium View Post
    Anyone else feeling the funk of a too-long cloudy winter?
    I need me some long days of sunshine.
    … Just saying …
    You can have some of ours if you like, supposed to get to 46C 114F and 50% humidity here today in Sydney, Australia.
    "He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

Images

Not worth replying.......
    Sorry, I have to bite...

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    Dogs have just as much right to sleep in a shelter as humans do...
    Ummmm, no, they don't...
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    Dogs have just as much right to sleep in a shelter as humans do. For all of the things people complain about dogs in shelters you can say the same or worse about people's children or just people in general. Shelters are what happens when you put 10 strangers in a dirty wooden box for 8 to 12 hours...you will find some of their habits offensive whether they are humans or dogs.
    I knew this multiverse theory is going to apply somehow on the trail. In your universe the dogs have the same right but in this universe they don't. This is coming from me that is known for being a pro dog on trails from day one and even I don't think they have the right to a shelter even if they are the best behaved dog on the planet. There is no exception for good dogs or bad or nasty dogs. Until further notice the dogs are not (legally) allowed in shelters.
    I am sure in many cases they are tolerated to shelters but that does not justify legality of the dogs in shelters.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++