WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by double d View Post
    Thank you for the data and information-as you of course experience this issue on a regular basis-many people spend a lot of time in the outdoors of Northern Wisconsin.
    You are welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bumpy View Post
    I'm curious to know who you think gets it - what type of outdoor type, or does it matter. Is it people who consider themselves traditional outdoorsmen - hunters, fisher, loggers, family front country campers as compared to someone who considers them self a backpacker, i.e. premise being that a backpacker may put more thought or preparation into avoiding the vector?
    There is no "typical" Lyme patient in Lyme country.
    All of those types that you mention have had it...Obviously the more one is in the out of doors in tick season, the higher the risk, but precautions are the key...There are a lot of loggers here and they tend to be tough macho guys who don't use bug spray, sunscreen etc. I don't know for sure if that demographic gets the disease proportionally more...
    Dogs can bring the ticks into the house and then the tick can crawl off and end up taking a blood meal on a human who rarely even leaves their house!

Ugh! That sucks!

However, I really thank you for providing that info.... I normally do not ever wear protection for ticks...

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post

...Any affiliation with retailing of insecticides or insect repellents? Are you involved in the manufacturing or promotion of industrial scale chemicals or in the chemical industry?
    No, I actually work in environmental science and risk assessment for over 30 years (on the white hat side). I'm always willing to look at new alternatives if there is a body of research from peer-reviewed reputable sources - but for essential oils and ticks, its just not there. You're also making the mistake of assuming that anything plant based or natural is safe and is better than a synthetic version. So, I'll continue to treat my clothing with permethrin and you can use essential oils. If you decide to use essential oils despite the lack of evidence of efficacy, be sure and ask the manufacturer what type of QC is used to verify the purity of the oil - if any.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore View Post
    No, I actually work in environmental science and risk assessment for over 30 years (on the white hat side). I'm always willing to look at new alternatives if there is a body of research from peer-reviewed reputable sources - but for essential oils and ticks, its just not there. You're also making the mistake of assuming that anything plant based or natural is safe and is better than a synthetic version. So, I'll continue to treat my clothing with permethrin and you can use essential oils. If you decide to use essential oils despite the lack of evidence of efficacy, be sure and ask the manufacturer what type of QC is used to verify the purity of the oil - if any.
    This afternoon Fed Ex is scheduled to deliver our clothing which was sent of to Insect Shield for treament last week. Two pair of socks, pants, shorts, and a couple of shirts for two hikers came to a total of $111.00. Cheap insurance against Lyme...
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Dogwood is caught up in his "all-natural and it will all be better dogma". Nothing new...

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore View Post
    ... I'm always willing to look at new alternatives if there is a body of research from peer-reviewed reputable sources - but for essential oils and ticks, its just not there. You're also making the mistake of assuming that anything plant based or natural is safe and is better than a synthetic version. So, I'll continue to treat my clothing with permethrin and you can use essential oils. If you decide to use essential oils despite the lack of evidence of efficacy, be sure and ask the manufacturer what type of QC is used to verify the purity of the oil - if any.
    Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    Dogwood is caught up in his "all-natural and it will all be better dogma". Nothing new...
    I can't make someone understand who isn't willing to make the effort to understand despite succinctly stating obvious exactly opposite to what you both incorrectly are stating here.

I previously stated, "Don't make the mistake that just because something is natural or plant based, its safer or more effective."

Absolutely.

From this example, your tendencies to ignore or delete information to support only pre existing beliefs are obvious so neither of you have been willing to look at alternatives as you state Offshore or imply ScareBear.

It is reasonable to simply do your own testing. I've been in the woods enough and had enough ticks on me to confirm that permethrin is FAR better than nothing. Dogwood likely has the same exerperience with his essential oils. Just pick your favorite poison and check your clothing often during the day for ticks.

The best defense is to simply not allow vegetation to brush against you. I am always telling my wife and son to step where the grass isn't brushing up against them. It also seems that ticks can be very dense in some areas and not in others. Sometimes you can walk through tall grass that cannot be avoided and immediately find five ticks crawling on your clothing. Other times you can do the same and not find any ticks. If you do walk through grass and are not taking a moment to check your shoes and legs for ticks right away, then you may be surprised at what turns up. You may look a bit like you are paranoid of bugs, but it is invaluable at keeping ticks from attaching to you. We never sit and rest in grassy areas either, which is something you see hikers doing. Ouch.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Engine View Post
    Did the ticks get a permit? I thought they weren't allowed inside the park boundary.
    Everyone knows they stealth camp.
    "Though I have lost the intimacy with the seasons since my hike, I retain the sense of perfect order, of graceful succession and surrender, and of the bold brilliance of fall leaves as they yield to death." - David Brill

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++