WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default desert hiking - a robe?

I'm trying to come up with a wardrobe for desert hiking. I've got the standard longsleeve shirt and pants, but I was wondering about going a different route - what about a wicking T and shorts, under what is for all intents and purposes, a thin cotton bathrobe? My thinking is it keeps the sun off you but it breathes/moves in the wind, so that you can still stay cool while basically wearing your umbrella. Anyone outside of the Middle East tried this?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by AllDownhillFromHere View Post
    I'm trying to come up with a wardrobe for desert hiking. I've got the standard longsleeve shirt and pants, but I was wondering about going a different route - what about a wicking T and shorts, under what is for all intents and purposes, a thin cotton bathrobe? My thinking is it keeps the sun off you but it breathes/moves in the wind, so that you can still stay cool while basically wearing your umbrella. Anyone outside of the Middle East tried this?
    Hey, if it works for the Bedouins, why not? I like your out of the box thinking.

Carry a wood staff with you and I guarantee you will end up with the trail name Moses. Pretty cool.
    “For of all sad words of tongue or pen,
    the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier

Like a Starwars Jedi

thom

It worked for the Arabs for centuries and the head coverings the woman wear isn't all about religion. Might be worth a try.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries

I have a ventillated nylon LS shirt with mesh under arms/body sides, and Railriders pants with mesh along the outside of legs.

When the wind blows its like the air conditioning is on.

The looser, the better.

back to the robe...OK never tried it. Ive spent a few months in Jordan and seen lots of poor people that still wear traditional garb in rural areas, as well as the bedouin in Wadi Rum area. It works for living in the desert. Air circulates underneath.

I have a couple of keffiyeh or shemagh, I wouldnt wear them hiking neither, although would come in handy in an haboob.

Not sure about for hiking 25 mpd.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 01-08-2017 at 12:48.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    I have a couple of keffiyeh or shemagh, I wouldnt wear them hiking neither, although would come in handy in an haboob.
    Not sure I agree about shemaghs, Muddy … albeit my experience with them comes from hiking where water was available (not abundant, but available). A wetted cotton shemagh acts like a fine air conditioner for my bald pate in those conditions, much better than my Tilley 'boonie hat'. Once an hour, with a couple of hundred mL (less than a cup) of water drizzled over my head onto my shemagh (at the same time as swilling a similar amount in my moth before swallowing) made a significant difference. I do understand that water availability is key …

Images

Spent some in Saudi Arabia, had the "opportunity" to wear a thobe (or thwab). The do make them in polyester variants. Also had the traditional red Keffiyeh and black agal. Did not wear these backpacking per se, but did wear them quite a bit while out and about in the country side. Folks over there can cover quite a long distance in a day wearing these and sandals. Big difference is they are not wearing backpacks.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L’Amour

1) If you haven't already looked into it, the Mountain Hardwear Elkommando Kilt is loved by some.
    2) Having spent some time in Oman in a dishdash, as they call them there, I have a few comments.
    - Why in the world complicate your wardrobe by wearing a shirt and shorts. Just wear the "robe". Maximize airflow.
    - Wearing such garments works well if you don't do lots of stepping up and needing to see your feet. They kinda suck if climbing steep uneven surfaces.
    - Also, taking big steps, especially upward, can require hiking up your "dress" because their circumference can limit the length of your stride.
    - The extra airflow rocks (as long as you aren't wearing undergarments to screw it up).
    - With practice, while taking a dump, you can have good privacy, even with people around.

Have fun. I think it's well worth looking into.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Worked for Jesus....

My thought on the clothes under it was for chafing and padding - my shorts have a liner to keep the boys from bouncing around, and the coolmax T is there for comfort and additional padding on the back. With both being poly I figure it will wick out to the cotton robe, where the breeze/sun will then suck the moisture out, but keeping me in the full-body umbrella.

Quote Originally Posted by Traillium View Post
    Not sure I agree about shemaghs, Muddy … albeit my experience with them comes from hiking where water was available (not abundant, but available). A wetted cotton shemagh acts like a fine air conditioner for my bald pate in those conditions, much better than my Tilley 'boonie hat'. Once an hour, with a couple of hundred mL (less than a cup) of water drizzled over my head onto my shemagh (at the same time as swilling a similar amount in my moth before swallowing) made a significant difference. I do understand that water availability is key …
    The desert is the one place I will wear cotton. LS loose fitting shirt, tight weave or UPF rated, long or convertible pants, coolmax rag or buff on neck, wide brim hat with ventilation. I never considered a robe, works in the middle east, but I would think it would snag on plants and be awkward climbing up steep rock faces. If your plan is for mid day hiking/exposure, I would also get some very light weight gloves.
    Living at 5280' has taught me to avoid sun exposure, stuff starts to grow on you.

Lawrence of Arabia?

I would consider a kilt with...ummm...total ventilation, shall we say...just sayin...

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    Lawrence of Arabia?

I would consider a kilt with...ummm...total ventilation, shall we say...just sayin...
    Brave Heart...ouch

Ummmmm....YIKES...

Registered Offender

A desert inhabitant most the year, I can tell you it would work. But boy of boy do desert plants love grabbing hold of loose clothing.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by AllDownhillFromHere View Post
    My thought on the clothes under it was for chafing and padding - my shorts have a liner to keep the boys from bouncing around, and the coolmax T is there for comfort and additional padding on the back. With both being poly I figure it will wick out to the cotton robe, where the breeze/sun will then suck the moisture out, but keeping me in the full-body umbrella.
    This is what I did. Wicking tee and running shorts underneath the polyester blend Thobe. No issue with moisture transport.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L’Amour

++ New Posts ++