WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Hiking OR Rain Kilts

I have a question, Hiking OR Rain Kilts, Yes or No?

Who has used them and loved them or not?

Which kilt do you wear?

Thanks for the information .....

I'm a fan of a minimal rain kilt. Great ventilation, quick to change in and out of, packs tiny and light. The feet are going to get wet anyway, so why worry about wet ankles.

Regular kilt, I'd be worried about ticks crawling up... and up.

ULA rain kilt works for me.... Great for rain, changing clothes in public spaces, covering a pack that doesn't fit in a vestibule, and more.
    Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and the forest and field in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul.--Fred Bear

www.misadventuregear.com

I hike in a sport kilt and have a DIY rain kilt. Love both and would not enjoy hiking without them. I have used an umbrella with this setup. I would not recommend this for bad weather. A good rain jacket with a rain kilt will be all you need.

Images

My wife made me a simple rain kilt from silnylon. Love it. I prefer to keep my shorts from getting soaked in a cold rain.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I am done with rain pants. Check out this rain kilt from Lightheart Gear. Great product, great customer service.

http://www.lightheartgear.com/index....duct/view/4/24
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

I use the ULA kilt. It's good, not great. I have yet to find the perfect solution.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I'm considering ditching the rain skirt and going with a drop down flap (approx 20") that is stored rolled up in the hemn line of me rain coat and deployed thusly to the knee line as needed.

I made one from Ty-Vek. Works well and doubles as additional thorn protection under my air mattress or to sit on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.google.com/amp/s/trailto...?client=safari

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have one from here http://www.shop.backpackingadventure...n-Wrap-RWS.htm I haven't seen another person wearing one in Australia, but I don't care. Beats rain pants by a mile for comfort.
    "He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

I use one, works great. Made it myself with silnylon and a bit of velcro, so it's adjustable as lose weight on the trail. Keeps the shorts dry, everything ventilates, doesn't cling to my legs.

Leonidas

I have a MYOG tyvek rain kilt and a MH Elkomando. Love the rain kilt, on the fence with the Elk.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

If you prefer a rain kilt would you still want it in cold wet weather? Are rain pants better when it is cold enough to have full length pants for warmth?

Images

I have used the ULA Rain Wrap (kilt) in three successive all-day rains during a hike of the Susquehannock Trail System in PA. I wear this over my Sportkilt hiking kilt which I have treated with Permithrin along with my socks, trail runners, hiking shirt and Chopat knee straps. Never any problems with ticks after using Permithrin. I also use a chromedome hiking umbrella which I velcro to my pack strap to allow me to use trekking poles. The umbrella makes hiking in rain reasonably tolerable. I've also used the chromedome as portable shade when hiking in the desert and as an umbrella for that quick call of nature during the night. I much prefer the Rain Wrap to rain pants as it allows continued ventilation.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

++ New Posts ++