I don't ordinarily upload my pictures to WhiteBlaze itself because I like having them all in one place and at full resolution, and because I am very much not sure of the legalities - it appears that WB claims copyright to anything I upload - and adds a copyright notice burned into the image when it serves it up, which is not acceptable to me. Having someone else claim copyright would restrict my use of the photographs in other forms - and there have been a handful that I've published in print or on various tourist web sites.

Generally speaking, I have simply put them on Flickr and then used Flickr's 'share BBCode' function to get a snippet of BBCode to insert into posts here.

Sometime quite recently, this has stopped working. It appears that the 'img' tag in the BBCode is no longer recognized. Similarly, the 'insert image' function no longer has a checkbox 'upload file and reference locally', and appears always to copy the file to WB's servers.

Was this intentional? If so, that's all right. I'll simply stop illustrating my posts with embedded photographs. (I'd rather not share pictures here than open myself up to a potential lawsuit from someone claiming that I gave up the rights to my pictures.) If it's a bug, I figured that the admins might want to be aware of it.

I suspect that rather than trying to seize control over other people's photography, or a simple bug, it's a reaction to people posting offensive images. I understand that the site is hard to police, but if that's the case, "this is why we can't have nice things."