WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Homemade high calorie dog treats?

I'm planning a 3-day trip in March and possibly a 7-day trip in June. It will be the first ever overnight trips for both myself and my dog so it'll be a learning experience. His food is heavy - 79 cals/oz - so I'd like to supplement with some of his favorite high calorie foods like peanut butter and coconut oil to make sure he's getting enough calories without weighing either of us down. I could just mix those items with his food, but I was wondering if anybody has recipes for a high calorie dog treat? I tried looking online but many recipes are for "healthy" (lower calorie) dog treats.

He likes peanut butter, coconut oil, sweet potatoes, meat, and chia seeds. He doesn't like bananas very much.

Thanks in advance!

Be very careful with newer versions of some peanut butter. Some companies are now adding xylitol to the peanut butter which is toxic for dogs.

Eggs are very high calorie and can be bought powdered and have water added to them on the trail.

Here is a link I found with some high-calorie recipes on the page: http://rufflesandtruffles.com/2011/0...er-kalinowski/

Journal Entries
    Images

How do they taste?
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    Be very careful with newer versions of some peanut butter. Some companies are now adding xylitol to the peanut butter which is toxic for dogs.
    I've been hearing the same thing. I typically make PB and almond butter at home, but it's a good reminder for when we are out and about. Thanks for the link!

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post

Eggs are very high calorie and can be bought powdered and have water added to them on the trail.

Here is a link I found with some high-calorie recipes on the page: http://rufflesandtruffles.com/2011/0...er-kalinowski/
    Didn't realize that about Xylitol in PB!!! I better check....guess I'll give him the $$$$ Justin's from now on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

++ New Posts ++