WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Sleeping with dogs in hammocks

Hey all, just a question for those of who you have hammock'ed it with your pup. Is there anything I should be aware of when we go out on our first hammock trip?
    I've got many years of backpacking and backcountry experience under my belt, but I have always slept under a tarp, so a hammock is a new experience. I've set up my hammock many times and am familiar with it, and I got my dog, Sonja in it after the first time I set it up after letting her sniff the unassembled parts and then the whole rig, and she was great. She didn't even blink and eye at it and we comfortably hung out for quite a while in there, shifting positions every so often and whatnot. We are going to do this many more times with our whole sleep system just to get her accustomed to it. Aside from that, is there anything else I can do to prepare her before the first overnights? I don't want us to be miserable at night and sleepless the next day.

The hammock is a Hennessy Expedition Asym Zip and Sonja is about 55 pounds. She doesn't sprawl out and flail at night; in fact, she does the opposite and sleeps in the tightest little bundle she can most of the time.

Thanks in advance y'all.

Images

hang hammock close to ground. makes things easier for dog. i use a diy hammock, no net.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

By close to the ground do you mean within 1-2 feet or so? I've been hanging it fairly low to begin with just so she wouldn't have to jump as much to get in and could just step; probably about 2 feet from the ground once I get in and am weighing it down, though I can't say for sure.

Images

My pup sleeps under my hammock, certainly not in it with me.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

This might seem like a good idea until you have to cuddle up to a wet and muddy dog since it's been raining the last 4 days. Then there is always the chance one of it's nails catches the fabric and starts a tear, and you both end up on the ground. Just saying....
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Once again Slo-go'en nails it.No way I'd let a muddy and wet dog near my $300 tent,$200 sleeping bag ect...
    Sleep on the ground, rise with the sun and hike with the wind....

Images

In the winter my dog sleeps in hammock. Above freezing she would rather sleep on her poncho liner. If I take my dog on trail she deserves the same comforts that I have. It's not like she asked to go.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    If I take my dog on trail she deserves the same comforts that I have. It's not like she asked to go.
    My pup also gets the same comforts I have and more, just on the ground not in my hammock. And he does beg to go with me.

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Shi! mine even has his own custom made down bag!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

++ New Posts ++