WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Check out Flat Cat Gear. I have used his Bobcat system with alcohol, Esbit & the Kovea spider in all seasons without any problems. Visit Jon's YouTube channel to see what can be done his Stoves.

Lots of choices. First, you have to decide if you want an integrated system - like a JetBoil or Reactor. If not, then you need to decide what type of pot your want for your stove (alcohol or canister... very few people hiking w/ white gas stoves these days). I prefer a short/wide titanium pot to capture as much heat from the stove. My go-to pot for solo hiking is this one: http://www.traildesigns.com/cookware...-9l-pot-eca252. Light & indestructible. I further add a pot cozy to help reduce fuel consumption from my canister stove (boil water, put food in it, stir it up thoroughly, turn off the stove, & put the pot in the cozy for 10 - 15 mins).

From there, pick your stove. I used Zelph's Fancee Feast stove & windscreen on my AT hike. Was pleased with it. Obviously, an alcohol stove won't boil as fast or be as hot as a canister stove. As far as a 'standard' canister stove, they will all perform poorly in windy situations. You might be able to use a windscreen in a half-moon configuration safely. Or MacGuyver a hanging windscreen from your pot to block the wind while not getting too hot for your fuel canister.
    2013 AT Thru-hike: 3/21 to 8/19
    Schedule: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t1M/edit#gid=0

I appreciate all the advice, but I think I should put out there that I have a lot of experience cooking in the backcountry. I've used alcohol stoves for an extended amount of time and have quite a collection. I also have a collection of Ti and AL pots and pans far larger then I'll ever have an use for. I just want to go a different route on my thru hike. Nor am I very interested in building the old hanging windscreen. Hence why the only stove I asked about which sits on top of a canister was the windmaster. I'm mostly curious about the experiences people had with the stoves I mentioned or if I missed any stoves of similar design and why they may be preferred.

I honestly do appreciate the insight given, I probably should have been more specific when writing up my initial post. My fault.

Titanium sheeting is "spot welded.

There may be someone reasonably nearby that could do that, for you.

Images

Have you looked at the Snow Peak Gigapower?

http://www.rei.com/product/643058/sn...wer-auto-stove

One thing I REALLY like is the way it folds up and fits into the included little plastic box.
    The box is about 1.5" X 1.5" X 4"
    About the size of a typical salt shaker.
    It takes up very little space in the pack. You can cram it into any little nook or void space.
    The box is great protection for the burner unit.

I have three white gas stoves, two canister stoves, half dozen alchys, a wood burner, etc.......
    The Giga is the most convenient of them all.

Images

After re-reading your initial post, (and actually paying attention to the details!)
    I now see that you are interested in a remote canister.

Then you should check out the Primus Omnilite Ti.
    It works with any fuel, ......including canister.

http://primuscamping.com/products/omni-lite-ti

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++