WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Exclamation Baxter announces closure of the Abol Slide Trail for 2014.

From Baxter State Park, 6/4/3024.
    ABOL TRAIL CLOSED FOR 2014
    Late last winter substantial debris movement occurred on most of the portion of the Abol Trail ascending the Abol Slide.
    The resulting debris field presents an area of exceptional hazard with a high risk of additional downslope movement of rocks, large boulders and debris.
    As wilderness stewards, our philosophy is to protect the Park’s resources and to provide accurate and complete advice and recommendations for safe and responsible travel in a wilderness environment.
    Abol Slide presents significant hazard not only to the individual hiker, but to other hikers in the vicinity, especially to any hikers downslope.
    Existing hazards on the slide will significantly limit or prevent any search and rescue response in the area.
    In response to the clear and present danger, the Abol Trail is closed for 2014 hiking season.
    Hiking on the Abol Trail is prohibited. Hikers on the trail will be subject to summons and billed for cost reimbursement of any search and rescue expense incurred on their behalf.
    Day Use Parking Reservation (DUPR) capacity at Katahdin Stream and Roaring Brook Campgrounds has been increased to accommodate the closure of the Abol Trail.
    We will be developing a plan for future options regarding this important and popular Katahdin-access route.
    http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/index.htm
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

This is a significant closure, many hikers like to make a loop of Abol and Hunt trail. With that gone unless someone does a long car spot, its up and back via Hunt trail.

Some additional info on the closure http://bangordailynews.com/2014/06/0...r-2014-season/
    Last edited by peakbagger; 06-05-2014 at 13:10.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Well that changes my end-of-section-hike plans.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    Well that changes my end-of-section-hike plans.
    I think you should consider yourself lucky.

++ New Posts ++