WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose2 View Post
    Roxy

Some people do the approach trail some don't. Yes it is a challange, but it certainly not that tough. The most important thing is to hike your own hike!! If it is stressing you, just start at Springer. Remember, the most important thing.......have fun! It's just walking! By the way, we are nearly neighbors, I live NE of Atlanta and travel to Charlotte often. When are you leaving? I wish you the very best of luck!
    We are leaving on March 7th... along with a lot of others! Its gonna be a mad house on springer!
    Live the Dream Without risk, there is no reward. Georgia to Maine. What a reward!

Images

Default not really

Quote Originally Posted by roxy33x View Post
    We are leaving on March 7th... along with a lot of others! Its gonna be a mad house on springer!
    Actually Springer won't be so bad as everyone is not there at the same time. Hawk Mountain, however will be a mad house when everyone tries to settle in for the night. Skip the approach and get to Hawk shelter early or find another spot to pitch your tent along the way.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    Actually Springer won't be so bad as everyone is not there at the same time. Hawk Mountain, however will be a mad house when everyone tries to settle in for the night. Skip the approach and get to Hawk shelter early or find another spot to pitch your tent along the way.
    Shoot, skip them both. If you wanna shelter go to Stover Creek the first night instead of Springer Mountain - it is a much nicer shelter. Then the next day skip Hawk and go on to Gooch Mtn. Shelter.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Somewhere back in this thread was the advice to Hike-You-Own-Hike. Just pick what you want to do and do it. I'm 62 and did the Approach Dec 21st in 35-40 degree temps, 6.5 hrs and we were enjoying our walk - no practice. Did Springer to Damascus in 2007, 39 hiking days - limited practice hikes.
    You can do it.
    Rockdawg69

Caution: Falling and Rolling Rocks have the Right-of-Way!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    Shoot, skip them both. If you wanna shelter go to Stover Creek the first night instead of Springer Mountain - it is a much nicer shelter. Then the next day skip Hawk and go on to Gooch Mtn. Shelter.
    I would do this, except dont stay at Gooch, stay at Justice Creek there are some really nice campsites, its a pretty neat little spot, and only a little less then a miles before Gooch shelter.

Quote Originally Posted by jj2044 View Post
    I would do this, except dont stay at Gooch, stay at Justice Creek there are some really nice campsites, its a pretty neat little spot, and only a little less then a miles before Gooch shelter.
    Or hike past Gooch and camp at Gooch Gap. Good water and its where the shelter used to be if that means anything.

++ New Posts ++