WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default tent platform hooks

I'm considering the purchase of hooks for pitching a tent on a platform similar to these. I see there are different styles and sizes. Are there any recommendations? How thick are the wood tent platforms on the AT?

Thank you.

EDIT
    10pcs Fishbone Tent Stakes Pegs Lengthen Deck Nail Anchor
    Last edited by perrymk; 05-04-2024 at 17:39.

Your attachment did not come through. Most clubs do not allow screw in hooks. I saw an ultralight expanding wedge design out on the web that seemed to be pretty slick but as usual cant find it to give you a link. Tent platform thickness varies, my guess is many use 5/4 wood (1" thickness).

A proper quick, brave, steady, ready gentleman! ocourse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by perrymk View Post
    I'm considering the purchase of hooks for pitching a tent on a platform similar to these. I see there are different styles and sizes. Are there any recommendations? How thick are the wood tent platforms on the AT?

Thank you.

EDIT
    10pcs Fishbone Tent Stakes Pegs Lengthen Deck Nail Anchor
    The picture shows now. I recently ran across a similar anchor for boat decks with a spring that keeps the anchor in place. A bit more bulk and weight though. Something like this;
    https://www.amazon.com/TOBWOLF-Carab...64&sr=8-1&th=1
    I've learned....
    That a smile is an inexpensive way to improve your looks.

It's been several years, but when I think of when I camped on tent platforms on the AT, I think of a few places in the white mountains of NH and western Maine. I think those hooks would work fine as I remember the platforms being either 2x4's or 2x6's, which in reality are less than 2" thick; I think they are actually closer to 1.5". In fact, I kinda wish I would have had something similar as I remember using really long lines to the ground on a platform raised on one side due to being op a hill side or putting a thick stick at the end of the line as an anchor. Those hooks look like they might bite into the wood a little and keep them from sliding once under tension.

Images

Clever design...I like!!!!

Sticks, rocks?

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I carry a couple of those hooks. They work as advertised! Other items, such as stakes, sticks or rocks will do the job also, but the hooks are sometimes just the right thing. I usually throw a couple in my stake bag, especially if I know the odds favor pitching on a platform. I use the plain ones - not the spring-loaded.

I had great luck with those on the tent platforms in the White Mtns.

Those are pretty cool. I've rigged my tent up in some pretty ghetto ways using those platforms. I recall for one, putting my trekking pole basket through a tent loop then stretching it and putting my 2nd pole basket through the strap on the first one then staking the strap on my 2nd pole. That one stands out, all that for the place of 1 stake.
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

++ New Posts ++