WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Need advice re Gathland/Crampton departure

Hello all. I'm doing a one-week northbound hike starting in Maryland near the WV border. I'm not familiar with the area so I could use some guidance.

I have two goals: I want to visit some of the historic stuff in Gathland State Park, and I want to set up camp at the Rocky Run shelter. What is the best way to accomplish those both? I'll be getting dropped off so I'm assuming a parking lot at a trailhead would be the best access but you know what happens when you assume Thanks very much.

Just walking the AT thru that section is amazing, you pass directly by the War Correspondents memorial for example. How many nights are you going out for?! There are only 42 miles in Maryland!

A week, in MD and PA.

To clarify: I'm looking for advice about how to access the trail in the area mentioned/where to ask a shuttle driver to drop me so that I can see whichever monuments are there.

Probably would get dropped right at Gapland Rd, where Gathland is, and hike north from there. Rocky Run about 5 miles north of that. Further along the way, see the original Washington Monument,(9 miles north) a historic monument at Reno Monument Rd (5.5miles) (South Mountain Creamery a mile or so east, great ice cream)

Great views from Blackrock Cliffs, about 15 miles north.

27 miles north, great views from High Rock Ledges, but car accessible.

30 miles north Pen-Mar Park, just little further cross the Mason Dixon line into Pa.

It’s a great hike! Enjoy!

++ New Posts ++