WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries

Default Flying with a Backpack?

Im heading to GA in a few weeks to hike and obviously need to get my gear down there with me. My pack is an Osprey Aura 65 AG and far too big to put in the overhead bins so checking it is my only alternative. This worries the hell out of me.

Should I worry and is there anything I can do to mitigate the loss of gear?

Thanks for the help!

Gadget Legs

Journal Entries

I just read the thread Backpacking with an airplane - Stressing on the pre flight "checking"

Great feedback. Gives me some ideas.

Get an inexpensive duffel bag and a TSA lock on the zipper. It should check through fine and you can send it home from where you are or to where you will need it to travel again.

The other alternative that I use a lot is to ship the pack via UPS to the hotel or address you will be staying at on arrival, or you can have them hold it at a convenient UPS store location.

Quote Originally Posted by AT Traveler View Post
    Get an inexpensive duffel bag and a TSA lock on the zipper. It should check through fine and you can send it home from where you are or to where you will need it to travel again.

The other alternative that I use a lot is to ship the pack via UPS to the hotel or address you will be staying at on arrival, or you can have them hold it at a convenient UPS store location.
    I just wrap my pack with plastic wrap and check it. When I get to my destination, I just remove the plastic wrap and throw it away. I have never had a problem with that approach.
    Shutterbug

Quote Originally Posted by Shutterbug View Post
    I just wrap my pack with plastic wrap and check it. When I get to my destination, I just remove the plastic wrap and throw it away. I have never had a problem with that approach.
    The only problem I have seen with that is if TSA needs to get into the pack. They cut the plastic, find what they are looking for, then your pack goes into the hold without the plastic. If I were to do it that way I would make sure all the straps and places where a pack can snag are tapped down or secured in a way TSA would not have to mess with it.

Journal Entries

Thank you for the ideas. Hopefully I won't have any issues either.

I've always just checked my backpack - you can buckle things down tight in such a way that it minimizes risk. Maybe I should be more concerned, but I've never had a problem and flown many flights. I wasn't concerned about TSA searches. My only TSA search complaint was when they broke the neck of my banjo, but that's another story.

+1 for a duffle with TSA locks. Simple and reliable.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Flying out to Jmt in few days..just mailed questionable items to my hotel..
    Leatherman micra
    Trekking Poles
    Stove
    Tent stakes
    Repackaged drugs....
    Also packed it full with everything I (re supply)could cram in that box... I'm trying to carry my ula circuit on...keeping fingers crossed..
    On return flight I'm going to remove my trash compactor bag liner and put my pack inside tape or tie top closed..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

If you have expensive stuff you dont want to lose, carry it on for piece of mind, and check the stuff no one would want.

++ New Posts ++