WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

The old Goddard Shelter. Replaced 2005

Added by celt
« Previous Image   |   Next Image »

The old Goddard Shelter. Replaced 2005

Views: 6,127  
by celt

Filmstrip 
‹‹Governor Clement Shelter   Goddard Shelter  The old Goddard Shelter. Replaced 2005  Cooper Lodge

Description for The old Goddard Shelter. Replaced 2005

Description by celt

celt

A great spot. A big shelter with a roomy porch and a small cooking table. The spring is one of the best on the AT and the Firetower on Glastenbury Mountain is 0.3 of a mile uphill. The summit is a nice spot to tent but the shelter has limited tenting possibilities. The Shelter has good views of Greylock in Massachusetts.

Comments for The old Goddard Shelter. Replaced 2005 (8)

1. #1 Cosmo
    This shelter has one of the best views in Southern NE. You can see all the way back to Mt Greylock in Mass from the porch. Firetower 200yes up from the shelter. Liminted tenting, very popular, somewhat worse for wear now. Spring is indeed excellent.
  2. #2 dreamhiker
    How many tenting spots are around this shelter? will it be hard to get one on sunday night? and what time should I plan to get there in order to claim one of the spots? Planning on doing an over night up to this shelter and back Sunday and Monday 6/25-6/26
    Dream Hiker
  3. #3 Pokey2006
    Re: Goddard Shelter
    Limited tenting (maybe three or so sites???), but the sites that are there are completely awesome -- private, even. My only zero day in the woods was spent here, at a great tent site a short ways up the hill from the shelter. One of my favorite campsites in 1,600 miles of trail
  4. #4 Jan LiteShoe
    Cool pink sky at dusk.
  5. #5 Jan LiteShoe
    Quote Originally Posted by dreamhiker
    How many tenting spots are around this shelter? will it be hard to get one on sunday night? and what time should I plan to get there in order to claim one of the spots? Planning on doing an over night up to this shelter and back Sunday and Monday 6/25-6/26
    Dream Hiker
    You can walk 300 yards or so up to the summit, lots of camping around the base of the firetower there. Hammock-hanging opportunities as well.
  6. #6 Dahoyt
    My favorite mountain, hands down...
  7. #7 Kerosene
    I believe that this shelter has now been torn down and replaced with a new one nearby.
  8. #8 celt
    Yes, the Green Mountain Club replaced this shelter in 2005. It is on the same location.