WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Orv On At

Added by The Cleaner
« Previous Image   |   Next Image »
Views: 2,556  

Filmstrip 
‹‹Red-spotted Newt   Hornets Nest  Orv On At  The Big Green Furry Thing

Description for Orv On At

Description by The Cleaner

The Cleaner

Took this pic @ Jerry's Cabin Shelter on 7-18-09 and saw one in same area on my last trip 9-22-10...Is anyone trying to stop this ?

Comments for Orv On At (5)

1. #1 The Cleaner
    Re: Orv On At
    The logo on the back of his t-shirt is "Tennessee Bear Hunters Assoc."
  2. #2 hikingjer
    Is this shelter on private land? If so, the landowner may be able to legally drive on the AT if it crosses his land.

If it's national forest or state land, this is illegal ATV use. If it's on national forest land, someone should contact the local ranger district and make sure the law enforcement officer knows. If this guy is a regular violator, maybe the LEO can catch him. However, there's not much law enforcement presence on national forests. Often there's only 1 LEO for many thousands of acres.
  3. #3 The Cleaner
    Jerry's Cabin shelter is on land formerly owned Duke Power Co. and was purchased by the USFS in 1983.1 mile north is Horsecreek ORV trail which is supposed to end @ intersection with AT. 1 mile south Round Knob trail intersects w/ AT.Redneck ORVers tore down gate and have been using this section EVERY YEAR since.They have used chain saws to clear old AT route and during bear season many ORVs pass by the shelter on a regular basis.I have called District Ranger&emailed pics and nothing gets done to stop the redneck hunters.On 9-22-10 I was hiking down the trail which leaves the AT at Big Butt intersection.About 1 mile down this trail(also used by ORVs) I was almost ran over by ORVer being chased by TWRA lights flashing in a full sized PU truck.ORV got away via side trail.I told TWRA all of this.Terry Bowerman is District ranger(423-638-4109)If anyone sees ORVs please call him...
  4. #4 The Cleaner
    I posted an answer and it was not published!!
  5. #5 The Cleaner
    Woops excuse me, I guess it must have been slow to get posted anyway if you see ORVs in this area call Terry...