WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Nasty

Added by insideragp
« Previous Image   |   Next Image »
Views: 9,620  

Filmstrip 
‹‹Barefoot Sisters   "What is it?"  Nasty  The Mean Log Part 3

Description for Nasty

Description by insideragp

insideragp

Seriously, anybody know what this is? It was on the back of an AT sign and the body was about 2 inches long. Yipes!

Comments for Nasty (14)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Showing Comments 1 to 10 of 14  
  1. #1 c.coyle
    What state? How big was it?
  2. #2 insideragp
    It was in eastern PA at Windsor Furnace - not far from the Pinnacle. The body was about an inch and a half with the legs a little longer.

Let me know if you need a hiking buddy when you are in the eastern part of pa. Our goal is to do NY next year on a 5 day trip and some day hikes from Route 309 to NJ here in PA and maybe that little part in WV next year as well.
  3. #3 Hikerhead
    We used to call those Garden Spiders in my younger days. Throw a grasshopper on the web and watch the show. The middle of the web always had a zig-zag design.
  4. #4 Kerosene
    I almost walked into something about this big that was building its web right across the trail. It was by far the biggest spider I had seen in the wild. It took me three swipes of my poles to move the web off to the side (another good reason for using poles!).
  5. #5 c.coyle
    Someone smarter than me says it is a Female Black & Yellow Argiope (argiope aurantia).
  6. #6 insideragp
    So does that mean "take me to your leader - I'm here to conquer the earth" or squash me, I'm an insignificant bug? We got pretty close. My wife actually had her hand touching the web about 2 inches from the monster in question.

By the way...tonight we are going to see the new Warren Miller Ski movie - Journey at Northampton Community College while it's snowing 2-4 inches! Nice mood setting!! Check it out at www.warrenmiller.com .

Thanks,

AG
  7. #7 c.coyle
    "So does that mean "take me to your leader - I'm here to conquer the earth" or squash me, I'm an insignificant bug? We got pretty close. My wife actually had her hand touching the web about 2 inches from the monster in question."

According to my arachnophile source, this fearsome looking critter is utterly harmless to humans. However, it evidently wraps prey in a solid cocoon of webbing.
  8. #8 Uncle Wayne
    I didn't know what kind of spider it was but we have those spiders building on our porch all the time. I started to sweep it down last summer and noticed the web was literally full of mosquitos that had been captured. I left the web in tact the rest of the summer as a mosquito deterrent! Very good detail in the photo. Good job.
  9. #9 rickb
    Re: Nasty
    Argiope aurantia - Black and Yellow Garden Spider

http://www.cirrusimage.com/spider_argiope_aurantia.htm
  10. #10 Amigi'sLastStand
    Absolutely beautiful
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast