WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Turtle

Added by Hikerhead
« Previous Image   |   Next Image »
Views: 4,520  

Filmstrip 
‹‹Efts?   Turtle on the Trail, VA  Turtle  Eft

Description for Turtle

Description by Hikerhead

Hikerhead

Just a turtle I found on the trail.

Comments for Turtle (7)

Guest 08:41
    FYI, you can sex Box Turtles by the color of their eyes. Males have red eyes. This photo is quite obviously of a male turtle. Check out this link ==> http://www.bio.davidson.edu/people/midorcas/research/Contribute/box%20turtle/boxinfo.htm#sex
  2. #2 Hikerhead
    I didn't know that about the eyes. Thanks.
  3. #3 DebW
    I once saw a turtle laying eggs in the middle of a trail. Wasn't hard to guess what sex that one was.
  4. #4 Streamweaver
    Heres another little FYI, Do not ever!! Under any circumstances eat box turtle meat!!!!! They eat several types of poisonous mushrooms and toadstools that they are immune to but that are fatal to humans!!! Now I doubt theres many hikers running around chomping on box turtles but in a survival situation ,what appears to be a life saver could turn out to be just the opposite !! Streamweaver
  5. #5 Kerosene
    Looking at this guy's "bedroom eyes" you would think he was to stir up some action!
  6. #6 Uncle Wayne
    This guy passed me twice in Virginia. Where was he when you took his picture?
  7. #7 Hikerhead
    Mr Bedroom Eyes was flying down the old AT, North Mtn Trail near Catawba, Va. He said he was out just doing a day hike.
  8. #8 Aesop
    another way to sex a turtle is to look at their bottoms...the flat shell bottom turtle is the female and the concaved shell bottom turtle is the male...his concave fits into her top shell to mate...and she is flat on the ground.
    Also, the males have larger tails.
  9. #9 Pencil Pusher
    Nice yellow in the pic.

Streamweaver, funny you should mention that! Thanks for the healthy tip