WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Moose encounter

Added by celt
« Previous Image   |   Next Image »
Views: 5,011  
by celt

Filmstrip 
‹‹Daicey Pond Moose   Moose Calf Departing Shot  Moose encounter

Description for Moose encounter

Description by celt

celt

I came apon this young moose in the White Mountains last year. The calf was to the left of the trail and the mother, whom heard but never saw, was to the right. When I first crossed his path The calf froze and began "mooing", so I backed off about 20 - 30 feet and got out my camera. He then climbed up to the trail, turned towards me and gave me a curious look and sniffed the air. I was eating Power Bar. I had to back out of sight before he would continue uphill off the trail towards his mother whom I could hear snapping twigs somewhere out of sight in the thick undergrowth. See Moose Calf Parting shot: http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=1006&papass=&sort=1 for the picture I took as I continued up the trail.

Comments for Moose encounter (3)

1. #1 Uncle Wayne
    Good sequence of photos.
  2. #2 Kozmic Zian
    Great Sequence shot, showing movement and curiosity. WoW!
  3. #3 hikelite55
    Hey Uncle Wayne, That is a special moment when you get to stand that close and the iceing on the cake was the vocals from the calf. Must have been saying "Hey, break me off a piece of that Kit Kat/ power bar". My wife and I saw so many Moose in Alaska that we almost became insensitive to the common sightings, I don`t ever want that to happen. Thanks for the pics.