WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Elwood (infamous)

Added by MOWGLI
« Previous Image   |   Next Image »
Views: 8,856  
by MOWGLI

Filmstrip 
‹‹Miss Janet   Baltimore Jack  Elwood (infamous)  Flyin Brian Robinson...

Description for Elwood (infamous)

Description by MOWGLI

MOWGLI

This photo of Elwood, aka Steve, aka Constant Motion was taken at Icewater Springs Shelter in Great Smoky Mountain NP on August 13, 2004. Elwood is allegedly a petty thief, but does not have a history of violence. If you see him on the trail, you might want to keep going, or watch your possesions very closely. He can be quite personable, but anyone who has done a good bit of long distance hiking can poke holes in his stories pretty quickly. FYI, his first name is Steve.

Comments for Elwood (infamous) (4)

1. #1 Flash Hand
    Excellent picture.. clear picture of him... I will keep eye on him.
  2. #2 Blue Sky II
    He\'s a magic magnet: he\'s always having a birthday, sister needs an operation, girfriend took his bank account, family tragedy, claiming to do a yo-yo, his gear or food has been stolen, etc. You get the picture. His best story, and probably closest to the truth in some respects, is that a federal officer took him to Amicalola Falls State Park in Geogia (2003) as a reward for all the volunteer work he does.
    PS: If you see him at a shelter, don\'t leave your gear alone with him!
  3. #3 wilconow
    Re: Elwood (infamous)
    Isn't this guy in the ATC magazine's photos of thru-hikers going through rangley? his trail name listed is head-n-out. the photo looks a lot like him
  4. #4 adamkrz
    Wow, I just read about him in the book AWOL on the Appalachian trail,He gave the writer bad vibes and also told of his arrest for non-payment in a hostil stay and was found with lots of stolen gear.
  5. #5 MOWGLI
    Quote Originally Posted by wilconow
    Isn't this guy in the ATC magazine's photos of thru-hikers going through rangley? his trail name listed is head-n-out. the photo looks a lot like him
    No, it definitely isn't.
  6. #6 Blue Sky II
    adamkrz,
    After Elwood was released from jail in September of 2003, he changed his name to Zeke and made his way south on the trail.

I ran into him many, many times in 700 miles as he kept jumping ahead on the trail. One thing he did really bothers me to this day. He told section hikers that a young SOBO sold his food. That turned Zeke/Elwood into a victim in need of assistance and bummed out the SOBO at the end of his 2,000 mile journey. I never saw Zeke after hearing this story from the SOBO, but I know I'll have something to say if I meet Zeke/Elwood again.