WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Ford In The 100 Mile Wilderness

Added by Ramble~On
« Previous Image   |   Next Image »

Ford In The 100 Mile Wilderness

Views: 3,270 [+] Larger Image  

Filmstrip 
‹‹Flagstaff Lake   2000 Miles  Ford In The 100 Mile Wilderness  Speck Pond

Description for Ford In The 100 Mile Wilderness

Description by Ramble~On

Ramble~On

Dah wah he fording and Willow close behind. 100 mile wilderness, Maine

Comments for Ford In The 100 Mile Wilderness (3)

1. #1 B Thrash
    Re: Ford In The 100 Mile Wilderness
    Good to see that a cable has been put up, it was not up in 2005.
  2. #2 DLANOIE
    I went through there in June of 2006. The rope was there, but the water level was almost to the top of the rock by the tree. I was carried downstream for quite a ways before I was able to get back onto shore. I met some hikers who had stealthed by the waters edge the night before, they said in the middle of the night during a tourential downpour, the river had made it into their tents and they had to move back away!! It was very deep over my head and super fast moving current.

I ended up bushwhacking almost a mile downstream before I found a place I could "safely" cross. I still had to swim to get across. Memories I will cherish forever!
  3. #3 Ramble~On
    I missed the ferry across the Kennebec by 5 minutes..I was out of food and looking forward to a hot meal and a micro + resupply. It had been raining all day and having never seen the Kennebec before, I didn't know the difference between "High Water" and "Low Water". I knew I shouldn't have...but I tried to ford it.. twice!
    I like living...and instead of becoming a headline I spent a cold, wet, hungry night up in the woods. As it turns out, the water when I tried to ford was "HIGH"