WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Water Snake

Added by backpackingdduo
« Previous Image   |   Next Image »

Description for Water Snake

Description

N/A

Comments for Water Snake (2)

1. #1 Streamweaver
    Heres 1 way to tell the diference between a Water moccasin and a non venemous watersnake. Note that in the picture that snake is swimming with his head just above the surface of the water,as most non venemous snakes do.Watermoccisans swim with their heads well out of the water. Cool pic!! Streamweaver
  2. #2 ArkVol
    Water mocs dont go east of the Mississppi much either, looks like a copperhead to me
  3. #3 Newb
    yep. that's a copperhead.
  4. #4 Rain Man
    Re: Water Snake
    Don't go east of the Mississippi? Perhaps that was a slip of the tongue and "west" was meant? Here's what Wikipedia says about their range (mostly east of the Mississippi for sure)--

"Found in the eastern United States from Virginia, south through the Florida peninsula and west to Arkansas, southeastern Kansas, eastern and southern Oklahoma, and eastern and central Texas. A few records exist of the species being found along the Rio Grande in Texas, but these are thought to represent disjunct populations, now possibly extirpated. The type locality given is "Carolina," although Schmidt (1953) proposed that this be restricted to the area around Charleston, South Carolina.

"Campbell and Lamar (2004) mentions this species as being found in Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Texas, and Virginia.[4] Maps provided by Campbell and Lamar (2004) and Wright and Wright (1957) also indicate its presence in eastern Tennessee, extreme southeastern Nebraska and limit it to the western part of Kentucky.

"In Georgia it is found in the southern half of the state up to a few kilometers north of the fall line with few exceptions. Its range also includes the Ohio River Valley as far north as southern Illinois, and it inhabits many barrier islands off the coasts of the states where it is found."

I know I sure had 'em in South Carolina when I was growing up! The pic looks like the pics of water moccosins on the Wikipedia page, too.

RainMan