WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Crossing The James In '85

Added by Retro
« Previous Image   |   Next Image »
Views: 3,195 [+] Larger Image  
by Retro

Filmstrip 
‹‹Old At Marker South Of Bearfence Hut   Old At Marker Between Simmons Gap And High Top Hut  Crossing The James In '85  Tinker Cliffs

Description for Crossing The James In '85

Description by Retro

Retro

Buchanan Virginia. In 1985 the trail crossed the James River on the only swinging bridge maintained by the Virginia Dept. of Transportation. (thanks Hikerhead for the info.)

Comments for Crossing The James In '85 (5)

1. #1 Hikerhead
    Re: Crossing The James In '85
    Wow!! I would have never have known that was once part of the AT. Good info. Then I guess it was rt 11 to Arcadia or Arnolds Valley. Where did the trail leave the rd? Are these pictures of you? Doing a sobo? I know you stopped at Big Daddys for a beer and a hamburger across from the boat ramp, it's now called The Coppertop. J5MAN and I ate and shot some pool there a few months back.
  2. #2 Hikerhead
    Here's a story about the bridge that Speedy the taxi driver in Buchanan told me. He said the local kids used to smoke pot out in the middle of the bridge. The cops never could catch them, they would just drop it off the bridge. Speedy left this world a while back, he was always good for a nice story while shuttleing me on my many river trips down that way.
  3. #3 Retro
    I was NOBO on that particular trip. I don't know why I was headed the wrong way. But, gee, there I am... out standing in the middle of the bridge. Hmmmm.....

As for the trail's route in those days... I don't remember much (hmmmm again) but I'll pull out the old guidebooks and try get some answers posted.
  4. #4 Hikerhead
    Looks like a major flood was underway too. That water is high and nasty looking.
  5. #5 Rain Man
    Classic!!!! Thanks for sharing this!

RainMan