WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

GSMNP Elk

Added by Ramble~On
« Previous Image   |   Next Image »
Views: 4,229 [+] Larger Image  

Filmstrip 
‹‹Deer in the water.   Elk Bugle  GSMNP Elk  Call of the Wild....Elk in Rut GSMNP

Description for GSMNP Elk

Description by Ramble~On

Ramble~On

Cataloochee Elk in rut...GSMNP

Comments for GSMNP Elk (5)

1. #1 Socrates
    Re: Call of the Wild....Elk in Rut GSMNP
    I've been told these guys are meaner than piss. Either they were wrong or you were lucky to get that shot and walk away! Great photo.
  2. #2 Green Bean
    nice shot! ~GB
  3. #3 Ramble~On
    Quote Originally Posted by Socrates
    I've been told these guys are meaner than piss. Either they were wrong or you were lucky to get that shot and walk away! Great photo.
    In rut..(like they were here) they are meaner than piss and you never know what there gonna do... You can't out run them...but they can't climb trees
  4. #4 LoneRidgeRunner
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramble~On
    In rut..(like they were here) they are meaner than piss and you never know what there gonna do... You can't out run them...but they can't climb trees
    I'm sure they can be very unpredictable, especially during their rut but these Elk at Catalloochee Valley of the GMSNP seem tame as house pets. It's not smart and actually against regulations but I once saw a large Cow with her entire head inside a car there and she was eating something out of some one's hand inside the car. And I saw a guy walk up within 4 feet of a bull's face for a close up photo and the bull just stood there and posed for him. I kept all my photos at a safer distance though.
  5. #5 Ramble~On
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneRidgeRunner
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramble~On
    I'm sure they can be very unpredictable, especially during their rut but these Elk at Catalloochee Valley of the GMSNP seem tame as house pets. It's not smart and actually against regulations but I once saw a large Cow with her entire head inside a car there and she was eating something out of some one's hand inside the car. And I saw a guy walk up within 4 feet of a bull's face for a close up photo and the bull just stood there and posed for him. I kept all my photos at a safer distance though.
    I use a "big" telephoto lens and I have seen people do very stupid things around wildlife in GSMNP. Sooner or later one of the elk will kill an idiot who likely doesn't know any better despite the posted warnings.