WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Cable Gap Shelter

Added by SmokyMtn Hiker
« Previous Image   |   Next Image »
Views: 2,465 [+] Larger Image  

Filmstrip 
‹‹Bald Mountian Shelter 12/10   Fontana Dam Shelter  Cable Gap Shelter  Brown Fork Gap Shelter

Description for Cable Gap Shelter

Description by SmokyMtn Hiker

SmokyMtn Hiker

Section Hike from Rock Gap to Fontana Dam

Comments for Cable Gap Shelter (2)

1. #1 Hikerhead
    Re: Cable Gap Shelter
    Me and J5MAN arrived here about an hour after dark to take a break and then move on and Jeff says "Hey,come over and look at this. Someone left their stuff here". I go over and and see this stuff hanging down and then I shine my light downward and I see a head sticking out of a sleeping bag looking up at me. I just said Oh sorry dude and we hiked on. Mr Head never said a word. Funny
  2. #2 Kerosene
    Re: Cable Gap Shelter
    Cable Gap is about 7 miles south of Fontana Dam, and as such appears to be a very popular overnight stop for NOBOs who will be re-supplying the next afternoon before entering GSMNP, and SOBO sectioners starting at Fontana Dam who don't yet have their trail legs or started out later in the day.There are numerous tent sites around the tiny, old shelter, which can squeeze 6 in a pinch. The creek in front of the shelter crosses the Trail, and the area just upstream became pretty trodden as the Gap filled up with 25 people on a Thursday evening in late May last year. The place was hoppin'.