WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Pony-Grayson Highlands

Added by Hikerhead
« Previous Image   |   Next Image »

Pony-Grayson Highlands

Views: 3,836 [+] Larger Image  

Filmstrip 
‹‹Marbled Orb Weaver   Butterflies on Cheoah Bald  Pony-Grayson Highlands  Chipmunk

Description for Pony-Grayson Highlands

Description by Hikerhead

Hikerhead

I did a loop around Grayson using the horse trail from Grayson Highlands to Scales, to Wise Shelter and back up to Massies Gap. Most of the ponies were back on Pine Mtn where I found this cute fellow/gal. Mom did a hell of a job of cleaning up this one.
I rubbed and scratched on him for 30 minutes. The others in his group didn't want anything to do with me. If I only had a couple of acres of land......

Comments for Pony-Grayson Highlands (0)

1. #1 Happy Feet
    Cute, cute, cute.
  2. #2 Uncle Wayne
    How did these ponies get settled in this area? Good photo of a beautiful pony.
  3. #3 Hikerhead
    I came across the story of these ponies somewhere....maybe on the info board at Scales. These horses were planted here many many years ago as a way to help keep the balds in the area open, free from trees. They tried a number of different breeds and this smaller breed faired better in the colder climate than the others. Sorry I don\'t know the breed. The local fire dept has an auction once a year to keep their numbers in check and for funding.