WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Limestone Spring Lean-to

Added by DebW
« Previous Image   |   Next Image »

Limestone Spring Lean-to

Views: 4,836  
by DebW

Filmstrip 
‹‹Ten Mile River Shelter   Riga Lean-to  Limestone Spring Lean-to

Description for Limestone Spring Lean-to

Description by DebW

DebW

The Limestone Spring Lean-to, 0.5 miles off the AT (steeply downhill). Great spring nearby.

Comments for Limestone Spring Lean-to (3)

1. #1 Matt Pincham
    Lovely photo.
    Hope all shelters/lean to's look that good...quite apparent that they don't!
  2. #2 B Thrash
    Be sure to look to the right after crossing stream on blue blaze trail or you may walk another mile or two before you realize that you have missed Limestone Spring Lean-to. This happen to me in the pouring rain in the dark.
  3. #3 ga2me9603
    The bugs nearly ate me alive here the night of Tuesday, June 22, 1999; however, the piped spring behind this lean-to was the best and coldest I tasted anywhere on the trail. There are many flat, open areas to tent around Limestone Spring Lean-to once you get to it after descending a steep and rocky 0.5 mile blue blaze from the AT. Do not think because you had to come down this treacherous trail that the lean-to is inaccessible to vehicular traffic. I was surprised and concerned to learn as I walked forward from the front of the lean-to through the open, flat areas around it that in about 0.4 mile is a very driveable dirt road. Maybe that's why you have all those flat, camping areas around the lean-to? It's something to think about if you are uncomfortable tenting or staying in a lean-to so close to a road. I know that's why I didn't exactly have a restful sleep here, that and the fact a thick, hanging fog enveloped the whole place throughout the night reminding me of those old Bela Lugosi Dracula movies.