WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Stone Mountain, Va

Added by Rain Man
« Previous Image   |   Next Image »
Views: 2,664 [+] Larger Image  

Filmstrip 
‹‹The Scales, Thanksgiving Hike '09   Stone Mtn, Va, Thanksgiving '09  Stone Mountain, Va  Grayson Highlands Thanksgiving '09

Description for Stone Mountain, Va

Description by Rain Man

Rain Man

Can you see five white blazes? Rain Man and family hiking north from Grayson Highlands State Park over Thanksgiving '09 weekend.

Comments for Stone Mountain, Va (3)

1. #1 darkage
    Re: Stone Mountain, Va
    Why, yes i can .... some places are marked insanely too much and some i've hiked i often thought i missed a turn .... This is a nice shot of them ...
  2. #2 Rain Man
    One place they could have used some of these spare blazes is on Max Patch. That place had no blazes at all as my wife and I climbed it in the snow in '05.

Rain Man

3. #3 Kerosene
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man
    One place they could have used some of these spare blazes is on Max Patch. That place had no blazes at all as my wife and I climbed it in the snow in '05.

Rain Man

Seems like the blazing was better over the open area of Max Patch as of October this year. However, heading NOBO back into the woods, the blaze on a thin tree showing the path off the main pedestrian trail down the mountain on the AT was anything but obvious. It took me 5 minutes to figure out where the AT was, and it would've been longer if I hadn't seen the map and knew that the AT headed to the right somewhere.