WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Buckowens just happy to be here...

Added by buckowens
« Previous Image   |   Next Image »

Buckowens just happy to be here...

Views: 3,352  

Filmstrip 
‹‹Buckowens and kids taking a break in a hayfield   Buckowens and family  Buckowens just happy to be here...  Life

Description for Buckowens just happy to be here...

Description by buckowens

buckowens

Happy to be here as this was October 20, 1987... A bad day

Comments for Buckowens just happy to be here... (5)

1. #1 THEmapMAKER
    Re: Buckowens just happy to be here...
    What's the story that goes laong with this picture?
  2. #2 buckowens
    Quote Originally Posted by THEmapMAKER
    What's the story that goes laong with this picture?
    There I was, no seriously...

I used this to remind myself that it could have all been over when I was 23 years old. I was flying in a formation of three Cobras on the East German border at about 1000 feet AGL (above ground) and one of my tailrotor blades decided to break off. I had limited control and hit the ground level, but with enough force to make one of the main rotor blades contact the ground and flip us over. It was October 20, 1987 and the helicopter was 69-16411 which I was flying with the 3-3 Aviation out of Giebelstadt, Germany. Hit 12g vertical and 1g forward according to the report. And yes, I am still fighting to get the VA to admit my back problems are related... Co-pilot compressed his spine and was in a cast for 7 weeks. He was up front. Hiking actually makes my back feel better!
  3. #3 THEmapMAKER
    Buck,
    Gald you made it. Thanks for serving! That is pretty cool your 9 year old backpacks with you. I hope when I have kids they will backpack with me. I saw you just went did GA? My wife, father and I are heading down to do GA in 3 weeks. Anythig I should know about?
  4. #4 buckowens
    Quote Originally Posted by THEmapMAKER
    Buck,
    Gald you made it. Thanks for serving! That is pretty cool your 9 year old backpacks with you. I hope when I have kids they will backpack with me. I saw you just went did GA? My wife, father and I are heading down to do GA in 3 weeks. Anythig I should know about?
    Thanks. Roo and I took 11 days to do all of GA at her pace. We had two nights off the trail, and a couple of 10 mile days. She is pretty amazing! I just did Bly Gap to NOC solo in 5 days, and had a couple of 15 mile days and a 16.1. That was about the most mileage my 43 year old body could do as my legs and feet were sore. I thought that section of NC was a bit harder than GA, but it could just be me...

I would also recommend camping at a nice spot you find along the way. I am not a huge shelter fan, but see their place for sure. Some of the most beautiful scenery was found along the way at campsites. Have lots of fun!!!
  5. #5 hikingshoes
    hey buck,thanks for your service,im retired now from the army res./guard 22yrs(E7).we had a 58 go down and that wasnt a good site to see i have to say,one made it,but i was on the DART team lots of fun but when one goes down you hope for the best.the tail got it to some trees(night mission) and pulled up on the stick and the main blades got into the trees after that it took them down to the base of the tree and i dont need to say no more.I was looking into getting back in but my back is messed up right now,and im at the VA doing pain mgn.right now.when i was rucking it help my back to and i think its the pressure on your lumber area.lol,my GFs son-nlaw is in the SF at bragg and he will hang upside down.he told me that help alot too.ok,i going to Charles