WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Pretty in Flight...but

Added by Ramble~On
« Previous Image   |   Next Image »

Pretty in Flight...but

Views: 3,483 [+] Larger Image  

Filmstrip 
‹‹Owl   3-27-06  Pretty in Flight...but  6-16-06

Description for Pretty in Flight...but

Description by Ramble~On

Ramble~On

Turkey Vultures are beautiful in flight but there are ugly up close.
It's kinda cool how they hold their wings open after it rains to dry out.

Comments for Pretty in Flight...but (5)

1. #1 sasquatch2014
    Re: Uh Oh !
    Hows that for a vote of confidence in your fitness level.
  2. #2 Ramble~On
    Re: Uh Oh !
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch2014
    Hows that for a vote of confidence in your fitness level.
    Fitness level....if there's buzzards and vultures gathered around me I think it means I'm either dead or I must smell like I am.
  3. #3 berkshirebirder
    Re: Pretty in Flight...but
    Hey, Ramble-on. You've got a black vulture here! Black vultures are a more compact version of turkey vulture, and they have a black face rather than red. You can sometimes see this when the bird's in flight, if it isn't too high.

The placement of pale feathers on the wing is different, also--turkey vultures show pale feather tips along the trailing edge of the wing; black vultures show pale feathers at the ends of each wing. This field mark is often noticeable when the vulture is soaring high.
  4. #4 Ramble~On
    Hey..Thanks for that. I honestly didn't know that there were more than one kind.
  5. #5 Pedaling Fool
    Quote Originally Posted by berkshirebirder
    Hey, Ramble-on. You've got a black vulture here! Black vultures are a more compact version of turkey vulture, and they have a black face rather than red. You can sometimes see this when the bird's in flight, if it isn't too high.

The placement of pale feathers on the wing is different, also--turkey vultures show pale feather tips along the trailing edge of the wing; black vultures show pale feathers at the ends of each wing. This field mark is often noticeable when the vulture is soaring high.
    Yes that's a black vulture; here's some interesting facts of both http://wildbirdsunlimited.typepad.co...y-vulture.html BTW, notice how they say the black is less shy and more aggressive than the turkey. I've noticed that when I see them along side the roads as I ride my bike. The turkeys will fly away, but the blacks will stand their ground.

For some reason they don't show a closeup of the turkey vulture, but it's very different looking with a red head. This shows a pic of a turkey vulture http://www.pbase.com/rcm1840/black_and_turkey_vultures