WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

The Summit of Wildcat Mountain……

Added by Puma Ghostwalker
« Previous Image   |   Next Image »

The Summit of Wildcat Mountain……

Views: 2,441 [+] Larger Image  

Filmstrip 
‹‹img00188-20120106-1616   img00189-20120106-1616  The Summit of Wildcat Mountain……  Flathead Camp on the Flats Mt Trail

Description for The Summit of Wildcat Mountain……

Description by Puma Ghostwalker

Puma Ghostwalker

Where to start….
From the beginning at Springer Mountain I
Felt excited to get started on my journey from the bus depot.
My pack was heavy and the mountains felt high and with 10 days of food and plenty of water around,( we followed Stover creek for some time) I forged north.
The first night I slept next to Stover Creek Shelter and setting up camp came right to me
for I had done this so many times before.

Day two left me looking for water in the afternoon at Hawk Mountain Shelter
I hade a hard time finding the water and when I returned to my gear at the shelter
Weather was coming in and it didn’t look good. It got really dark and the temperature started to drop when you could hear the thunder roll in and getting louder. As I hustled to set up my tent the rain came and I grabbed my pack closing the flap behind me.
It poured so hard, lightening crashing all-around me, hail stones just smaller than ping-pong balls and the land flooded around my tent. My floor felt like a waterbed mattress.
The rain slowed for a moment, I ran out and saw a higher piece of ground, dragged my tent to it and dove right back in.

This storm raged on for 14 hours, the next day the moisture caused due drops to fall from the leaves most of the day, warm I just wore my t-shirt and forged on. It took my gear two days to dry out; thankfully my laptop was double bagged as I write my tale.

Three days and I was exhausted, I could hardly think past hiking, I was in survivor mode
and was operating in Lizard Brain, the bare minimum of a humanoid. I couldn’t really hold a conversation very well or really wanted too, I was so tired.
I knew this would happen and I went slowly not to get injured, a blowout knee or a twisted ankle could end my journey before it really begins.

Today I am at Hiawassee Georgia, its evening; I purchased all the food I need to make it to my next resupply in Franklin North Carolina. I ate a huge meal and am doctoring my minor wounds, preparing for the next leg of my journey.

Franklin North Carolina is a famous spot for prospecting Ruby’s, Emeralds and Safire.
My plan is to mine for two days and ship my gems back home to await my return.
This adventure has just begun and I can’t imagine what the future holds….

I have trimmed my pack weight from 85 to 65 pounds and its still heavy, and the people who carry 35 pounds……they say their packs are heavy too…..it’s all in your mind….
It’s heavy if you choose it to be so…..

I carry my pack, it is part of me now…..it is all I have…it is all I am…..
An observer of nature, living and flowing with her….

I am wild….I am free… I am…. I said….

Meow!

Comments for The Summit of Wildcat Mountain…… (0)