WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

1938 AT Road Crossing Sign

Added by MOWGLI
« Previous Image   |   Next Image »

1938 AT Road Crossing Sign

Views: 4,637  
by MOWGLI

Filmstrip 
‹‹God LOVES hikers!   ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh   Coffee  1938 AT Road Crossing Sign  A.T. picture at L.L. Bean, Freeport, Maine

Description for 1938 AT Road Crossing Sign

Description by MOWGLI

MOWGLI

This vintage 10" x 14" AT Road Crossing sign from 1938 was recently given to me by a co-worker. Less than (10) of these are said to exist today. It is in "near mint" condition.

Comments for 1938 AT Road Crossing Sign (3)

1. #1 c.coyle
    Any idea of its original location on the AT?
  2. #2 TJ aka Teej
    A piece of AT history! Remarkable that it survived so long, a very generous gift!
  3. #3 MOWGLI
    It was never put out on the trail! They tend to rust fairly quickly. That\'s why there are so few left. The individual who gave it to me fished a bunch of them out of a dumpster. Some old closets at an AT Trail maintaining organization were cleaned out, and they were tossed. Before he snagged them, he asked if it was OK, and was told that it was. If not for his quick thinking, the signs would no longer exist! I accepted the gift on the condition that I keep it indoors. Notice that the address for the ATC is Washington, DC.
    Jeffrey Hunter
  4. #4 Chris Vreeland
    Re: 1938 AT Road Crossing Sign
    Hey Mowgli,

I have one exactly like this one. I bought it from the ATC shop in Harpers Ferry when I was passing through in 1988. I mailed it home. I think I gave them a $10 donation for it. It is safely mounted in my workshop.