WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

A switchback along Barr's Trail going up to Pikes Peak

Added by tom_alan
« Previous Image   |   Next Image »

A switchback along Barr's Trail going up to Pikes Peak

Views: 2,358  

Filmstrip 
‹‹Barr's Trail Shelter   3,000ft above Colorado Springs on Barr's Trail  A switchback along Barr's Trail going up to Pikes Peak  Olympic National Park-mountain Meadows

Description for A switchback along Barr's Trail going up to Pikes Peak

Description by tom_alan

tom_alan

Barr's Trail switchback - gains 3,500ft in the first 4 miles

Comments for A switchback along Barr's Trail going up to Pikes Peak (4)

1. #1 sasquatch2014
    Re: Bagging 14'ers In Colorado
    I remember this it is like being on a evil stair climber it just kept going and going. The fact it was really early in the Ma and i had spilt my coffee did not help any.
  2. #2 tom_alan
    This would have been my eighth peak but got socked in at 12,000ft with snow. It was a killer ~ never let up
  3. #3 sasquatch2014
    when I lived out there my company was one of the main sponsors of the thing called the Pikes Peak Challenge which was a hike to raise awareness of brain injury. Peekabo(sp) Steet was the honorary chairwoman. It was a great deal of fun.
  4. #4 tom_alan
    Looks like you moved to the other side of the country now. Never heard of the hike. I couldn't believe how many people run the Peak. We packed up to the A-Frame at around 12,000ft and got socked in. Spent the night in the A-Frame and planed to grab the top with day packs than come back down. The next morning we could only see about 30 feet in front of us and it was snowing higher up. We went back down. At Barr's Camp we found out that the road had been closed to the top due to ice and snow. "Getting up is optionial, getting down is mandatory" Steady Ed Viesturs