WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

New Jersey bear

Added by sienel
« Previous Image   |   Next Image »
Views: 5,798  
by sienel

Filmstrip 
‹‹DSC01306   Bear Post Card  New Jersey bear  grizzly bear scratch

Description for New Jersey bear

Description by sienel

sienel

I think this was taken at Gren Anderson Shelter.

Comments for New Jersey bear (5)

1. #1 Patco
    Did he/she stay around long?
  2. #2 sienel
    Well, yeah, s/he did.

I was about to leave the shelter that morning - went down to the spring, filled my water bottles, looked up and saw mom and cub (yearling?) heading my way. I went back to the shelter to gather up my things - mom and cub nosed around the spring, then came up towards the shelter. Mom showed the cub the bear box out front, which they banged on a bit, then they headed off.

I *think* this was at Gren Anderson Shelter, but it may have been Brink Road - somewhere in New Jersey at any rate.
  3. #3 tribes
    Both Brink Road shelter and Gren Andersen shelter have had active bears the last few years.
  4. #4 The Eleven
    FROM WHAT I UNDERSTAND FROM DOING A.T. IN NJ AS 2 SEPARATE TRIPS, BEARS HAVE BECOME SLIGHTLY AGGRESSIVE IN THE AREA ACCORDING TO A FEW RANGERS I HAD RUN INTO, THOUGH THE ONLY PLACES I HAVE SEEN BLACK BEAR UP CLOSE IS IN MASS./CT
  5. #5 Proudfoot
    Re: New Jersey bear
    The brink road shelter was extremely messy my last day hike up there. I wanted to use it as an overnite shelter but made use of picnic table, and then packed it out. The table had food all over it, the ground was littered with junk. I wonder why the bears go there.....