WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

The Birches Lean-Tos

Added by celt
« Previous Image   |   Next Image »

The Birches Lean-Tos

Views: 6,650 [+] Larger Image  
by celt

Filmstrip 
‹‹Your Move outhouse.   Gentian Pond Shelter  The Birches Lean-Tos  Some Assembly Required

Description for The Birches Lean-Tos

Description by celt

celt

This is the thru hiker site in Baxter State Park. Near Katahdin Stream Campground. Tent platforms on site too.

Comments for The Birches Lean-Tos (4)

1. #1 TJ aka Teej
    Those 'wet paint' signs stayed on for several weeks, and finishing thruhikers had to stay in Katahdin Stream Campground at two small lean-tos. Something was wrong with the stain the Rangers used, it never dried!
  2. #2 celt
    The thru hikers who stayed in the KSC day use shelters on 9/24 seemed to really enjoy it. The lean-tos are right on the A.T. and have all those day use picnic tables in the field with a good view of Katahdin right next door. Plus mid week there weren't many non thru hikers around. It was a big party that night.
  3. #3 ga2me9603
    I stayed at the shelter on the right Saturday, August 30, 2003, before it was stained this ugly brown color (in my opinion).

Does anyone have a photograph of these new shelters before this brown-stain job took place?

Compare the difference and I'm sure you'll feel the same way I do.

The wood was the color of the new Ed Garvey Shelter in Maryland to give you some idea what these shelters looked like before they were stained brown.
  4. #4 Uncle Wayne
    Nice photo and info.