WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Nasty

Added by insideragp
« Previous Image   |   Next Image »
Views: 9,807  

Filmstrip 
‹‹Barefoot Sisters   "What is it?"  Nasty  The Mean Log Part 3

Description for Nasty

Description by insideragp

insideragp

Seriously, anybody know what this is? It was on the back of an AT sign and the body was about 2 inches long. Yipes!

Comments for Nasty (14)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Showing Comments 14 to 5 of 14  
  1. #14 Boots73
    Re: Nasty
    And just think, that grew out of the primeval ooze of the universe.... (Sorry there isn't a sarcasm font!)God can make even scary things beautiful.
  2. #13 Reid
    Looks like a writtin spider to me.
  3. #12 DrRichardCranium
    The black shape on its back looks like an evil alien with its hands on its hips.
  4. #11 austinlowes17
    I would have killed that *****er in a heartbeat if it were in a shelter. Once a spider gets the taste of human flesh, it's a man killer the rest of it's life.
  5. #10 Amigi'sLastStand
    Absolutely beautiful
  6. #9 rickb
    Argiope aurantia - Black and Yellow Garden Spider

http://www.cirrusimage.com/spider_argiope_aurantia.htm
  7. #8 Uncle Wayne
    I didn't know what kind of spider it was but we have those spiders building on our porch all the time. I started to sweep it down last summer and noticed the web was literally full of mosquitos that had been captured. I left the web in tact the rest of the summer as a mosquito deterrent! Very good detail in the photo. Good job.
  8. #7 c.coyle
    "So does that mean "take me to your leader - I'm here to conquer the earth" or squash me, I'm an insignificant bug? We got pretty close. My wife actually had her hand touching the web about 2 inches from the monster in question."

According to my arachnophile source, this fearsome looking critter is utterly harmless to humans. However, it evidently wraps prey in a solid cocoon of webbing.
  9. #6 insideragp
    So does that mean "take me to your leader - I'm here to conquer the earth" or squash me, I'm an insignificant bug? We got pretty close. My wife actually had her hand touching the web about 2 inches from the monster in question.

By the way...tonight we are going to see the new Warren Miller Ski movie - Journey at Northampton Community College while it's snowing 2-4 inches! Nice mood setting!! Check it out at www.warrenmiller.com .

Thanks,

AG
  10. #5 c.coyle
    Someone smarter than me says it is a Female Black & Yellow Argiope (argiope aurantia).
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast