WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Dusk at Whiteface Shelter

Added by Cookerhiker
« Previous Image   |   Next Image »

Dusk at Whiteface Shelter

Views: 2,683 [+] Larger Image  

Filmstrip 
‹‹Early morning at Whiteface Shelter   Dusk at Taylor Lodge  Dusk at Whiteface Shelter  Cookerhiker takes a mudbath

Description for Dusk at Whiteface Shelter

Description by Cookerhiker

Cookerhiker

After the thunderstorms August 2007

Comments for Dusk at Whiteface Shelter (5)

1. #1 Kerosene
    Re: Dusk at Whiteface Shelter
    It was totally socked in and raining, soon to turn to snow, when I had lunch here in August 1979!
  2. #2 Cookerhiker
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene
    It was totally socked in and raining, soon to turn to snow, when I had lunch here in August 1979!
    August 1979?! I also hiked that part of the Long Trail in August 1979. I remember a cold night at Sterling Pond Shelter but no snow.
  3. #3 Kerosene
    I'll have to look up the day, but probably mid-August. It started out as rain ascending Whiteface, then turned to a rain/snow mix, sleet, then all-out snow as we approached Smugglers Notch...with 45 mph winds to boot. We were soaked as we turned off the road to ascend Mansfield when we decided to just try to catch a ride into Stowe for the night. I still feel sorry for how much we trashed that motel room, despite our best efforts to keep things clean.
  4. #4 Cookerhiker
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene
    I'll have to look up the day, but probably mid-August. It started out as rain ascending Whiteface, then turned to a rain/snow mix, sleet, then all-out snow as we approached Smugglers Notch...with 45 mph winds to boot. We were soaked as we turned off the road to ascend Mansfield when we decided to just try to catch a ride into Stowe for the night. I still feel sorry for how much we trashed that motel room, despite our best efforts to keep things clean.
    My memory was slightly faulty; in mid-1979, I hiked from Jonesville north to Smugglers Notch from August 11 to 13. But I didn't write up a journal so all I can rely on is memory. We had good weather ascending Mansfield and staying in Butler Lodge our second night. It's possible we ended our hike at Rt. 108 for the same reasons you did.

So it must have been 1980 when I hiked north of Smugglers Notch. My journaling and notes are inconsistent for that time but I remember fininshing the LT in Canada in August 1981. Never applied for an end-to-end patch.
  5. #5 StarLyte
    Once in a while you come across a photo that just knocks your socks off....well this is one of them.

Thanks for posting CH!