WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Double Springs Shelter, GSMNP

Added by Rain Man
« Previous Image   |   Next Image »

Double Springs Shelter, GSMNP

Views: 4,191  

Filmstrip 
‹‹Tricorner Knob, GSMNP   Silers Bald Shelter, GSMNP  Double Springs Shelter, GSMNP  Icewater Springs privy, GSMNP

Description for Double Springs Shelter, GSMNP

Description by Rain Man

Rain Man

Double Springs Shelter, GSMNP. Wednesday April 6, 2005.

Comments for Double Springs Shelter, GSMNP (1)

1. #1 LoneRidgeRunner
    Re: Double Springs Shelter, GSMNP
    I had a strange experience at this shelter in June several years ago. Another hiker I had met there just an hour earlier had been inside talking and swapping bear sightings. I had walked up within 40 yards of a sow with 2 cubs 3 days earlier on Welch Ridge while walking to Hazel Creek from Clingman's Dome to trout fish and he had seen 4 bears at different times on his thru hike of the GSMNP section of the AT. Then, after dark I come out of the shelter to use the privy, turn the corner and see an unidentified animal standing just a few feet in front of me and my first thought (given our conversation just minutes earlier) was "BEAR!" So I jumped like 3 feet in the air I think ..LOL..then realized it was just a Deer....LOL..The Deer just stood there as I walked by close enough to reach out and pet it. (I didn't pet it though). So I took care of my business in the privy, came out and saw that there were at least a dozen Deer standing around within 20 yards of me. I guess these Deer were so used to people in the GSMNP not bothering them that they had no fear of me whatsoever. It's experiences like this that make hiking such a rewarding past-time. I even enjoyed the bear sighting 3 days earlier because it resulted in no teeth or claw marks on my body and the bear also was left unharmed. She made a noise at my sight and her 2 cubs ran up a tree, she laid down in the trail and we watched each other for around an hour. I saw she wasn't gonna leave so I just went off the trail and made a wide circle around her and her cubs.