WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Burkes Garden

Added by Kerosene
« Previous Image   |   Next Image »
Views: 3,250 [+] Larger Image  

Filmstrip 
‹‹Sunset Across Page Valley   Sunset Across Page Valley  Burkes Garden  Kelly Knob

Description for Burkes Garden

Description by Kerosene

Kerosene

View of Burkes Garden (also known as God's Thumbprint) from Chestnut Knob Shelter (June 2005). The rain was off-and-on all morning and the views were non-existent from Jenkins Shelter until I reached the top about noon.

Comments for Burkes Garden (2)

1. #1 ATHikerGal
    Re: Burkes Garden
    I'm reading Frank Wardiaw Wright's fictional account of his thru-hike, Stained-Glass Curtain. He presents a lot of great detail about the flora & fauna along the AT and the history, including how Burke left some potato peals on the Chestnut ridge above the valley. Burke & his mid-19 century buddies came back maybe to hunt and found potatoes growing there. They called it Burke's garden. Wright's book is ok but he goes on a too much philosophizing and debating about religeon with another thru-hiker who is a fundamentalist Christian looking to save souls. Your photos are great; look professional. Did you do a thruhike or section hikes?
  2. #2 Kerosene
    Re: Burkes Garden
    I'm a long-term AT section hiker. I do like a number of my photos, but there are much better photographers posting to WhiteBlaze. Thanks for the compliment, and I'm glad you enjoy them. They are very evocative for me -- whenever I see them I can instantly remember where I was, what I was feeling, the temperature, the weather, etc. You just can't capture everything in a photo that other viewers can appreciate.