WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Covered Porch

Added by Ramble~On
« Previous Image   |   Next Image »
Views: 5,877 [+] Larger Image  

Filmstrip 
‹‹Trail Days   Water Run In The Rain  Covered Porch  Hoodoo 3 Tent

Description for Covered Porch

Description by Ramble~On

Ramble~On

Tarptent Rainbow with sil tarp as a covered porch - no need to close up the tent which improves ventilation, cuts condensation and avoids "misting" in heavy downpours..Easy to cook under and if the tarp is the first thing up none of my gear gets wet..including most of the tent. The tent does fine in the rain without the tarp..but I carry the tarp anyway cause I hate cooking in the rain. I got this "extra large" tarp with my Clark North American Hammock..I never use it for the hammock but it found a home in my pack and has become one of my favorite pieces of gear...the size is just right and it weighs little.

Comments for Covered Porch (5)

1. #1 TwoForty
    Re: Covered Porch
    Why not get rid of the 2 pound tent?
  2. #2 Ramble~On
    I used to tarp..I doubt I'll ever go back. I like a layer of mesh between me and the insects.
  3. #3 darkage
    Looks very close to the same setup i use nowadays .... same reasons, i like it.
  4. #4 LoneRidgeRunner
    I use a Mountain Hardwear Trango 2 tent which has never leaked a drop but I always use a tarp too for the very same reasons Ramble talked about. The "gram weenies" can pack up wet if they want to, but when I get to camp the tarp always goes up first and comes down last.
  5. #5 Ramble~On
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneRidgeRunner
    I use a Mountain Hardwear Trango 2 tent which has never leaked a drop but I always use a tarp too for the very same reasons Ramble talked about. The "gram weenies" can pack up wet if they want to, but when I get to camp the tarp always goes up first and comes down last.
    I was in the market for a "good" four season and narrowed it down to the Trango 2 or a Mountain 25. I went with the Mountain 25. The Trango 2 looks like a monster beast of tent though and I'll probably add one to the collection some day.