WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

HalfofmilefromSlickrock4

Added by Frolicking Dinosaurs
« Previous Image   |   Next Image »
Views: 3,252 [+] Larger Image  

Filmstrip 
‹‹Randomshot   Largedeadtree  HalfofmilefromSlickrock4  HalfofmilefromSlickrock3

Description for HalfofmilefromSlickrock4

Description by Frolicking Dinosaurs

Frolicking Dinosaurs

Windstorm Damage Ike's Branch Trail

Comments for HalfofmilefromSlickrock4 (1)

1. #1 jlb2012
    Re: HalfofmilefromSlickrock4
    the smaller tree in the foreground was cut and cleared from trail - may need 1 more cut depending on the plan for the larger blowdown - larger blowdown is more like 30-36 inch oak and it is only about 50% probable IMO that the rotten center extends to where the cut would be placed - could be cleared with 1 cut and come-along work but the best saw to cut it is a 6 foot bucking saw which I don't have (I use a 5 foot felling saw for the big work just that its not the best for this blowdown - I have done one solid oak like this - took 3 days to make two crappy cuts) - could also be left if some steps are cut into it or the trail is routed around it - one idea I had was to bore some holes and stick large diameter dowels in the blowdown to make it easy to climb over - one in top center for a handhold and one on each side as a step up - 3 total

trail will need to be reconstructed anyways due to the tree in the background taking a chunk of trail out when it leaned over - given this I would suggest making the cut (6 ft bucking saw if possible or 5 ft felling saw if not) then use the come-along and pull the log down to the bed of the old trail - run the new trail along uphill edge of the log