WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

6-17-06

Added by Pedaling Fool
« Previous Image   |   Next Image »

Description for 6-17-06

Description by Pedaling Fool

Pedaling Fool

Balancing rock some where between Rock Spring Hut and Pass Mtn Hut in SNP.

Comments for 6-17-06 (7)

1. #1 Hikerhead
    Re: 6-17-06
    Glacial caused. There's a large rock called Balanced rock on Hawkening Hill at Peaks of Otter that you can stand on and have it rock back and forth. Large enough for maybe 5 or 6 people to stand on.
  2. #2 Kerosene
    I believe it is termed a 'glacial erratic', left behind after glaciers melted. However, I didn't think that glaciers extended south of Pennsylvania, and I couldn't find anything on-line that noted of any North American glacier that extended further south.
  3. #3 Newb
    I can't tell how big it is in that photo. It's possible it's really only the size of a fist and you're having a joke with us.
  4. #4 Pedaling Fool
    Quote Originally Posted by Newb
    I can't tell how big it is in that photo. It's possible it's really only the size of a fist and you're having a joke with us.
    No Joke. I can't believe no one else has seen this, it's on the AT.
  5. #5 Johnny Appleseed
    there is so much people don't see. I would find more than half of all lost items posted and many that were not-glasses, whistle, water bag, etc. I did not carry them to the next shelter like you should. I lost at least two rewards this way. I found a wooden spoon and didn't want the germy thing in my pack. It was clean and 2 weeks old. Lost a load of chocalate and missed returning a item a thru-hiker had history with. Carry lost items forward please. I myself lost nothing the whole hike.
  6. #6 Pedaling Fool
    Quote Originally Posted by john gault
    Quote Originally Posted by Newb
    No Joke. I can't believe no one else has seen this, it's on the AT.
    I just saw this thing again this year, it's on the south side of mary's rock in the park (SNP). I almost missed it, it's on your right if your headed south. The large rock is probably about 500 lbs and the small one is about 20 lbs.
  7. #7 Panzer1
    I would agree it a result of glacial effect of one kind or another. The top rock is so rounded that it looks like it was eroded away by water or ice.