WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

\"Kitten Stove\" - Supplies

Added by Dances with Mice
« Previous Image   |   Next Image »

\"Kitten Stove\" - Supplies

Views: 5,916  

Filmstrip 
‹‹\"Kitten Stove\" - Step 2   \  \"Kitten Stove\" - Supplies  DAM ver 2-Top Cover Idea 2

Description for \"Kitten Stove\" - Supplies

Description by Dances with Mice

Dances with Mice

This is a miniature version of the "Cat Stove", so I guess it should be called the "Kitten Stove". Here's how to make one in ten easy steps.

Supplies & Tools:
5.5 fl oz can (V-8) and 3 oz can (cat food)
scissors, box cutter, pliers, marker, foil flue tape
The foil tape is Nashua brand, I found it in the
Home Depot HVAC supply aisle.

Comments for \"Kitten Stove\" - Supplies (1)

1. #1 anodizer
    I appreciate your information and will likely build your stove this week. How do you operate it and does it need a wind shield?
  2. #2 Dances with Mice
    I\'ve done some experimenting recently and there is a slight design change - now it\'s even easier to make! I experimented with the number of holes needed in the exterior (cat food) can. 3 holes is not enough, the flame starves. More holes are better up to about 8, then it makes no difference. So for my newest stove I used 16 holes, two rows of 8 evenly spaced holes, offset from each other. It looks nicer, it\'s probably stronger, and there\'s not as many holes to punch.

The stove will need a pot holder and windscreen. I have a combination pot holder / windscreen. It was my intention to post its directions immediately after I did the stove, but I didn\'t get a round tuit. I\'ll try to do that this weekend.

Add 2 TBS or so of alcohol to the inner can and light. It\'s easier to light if you dip the end of a twig or pine needle into the alcohol, light that, then quickly dip it back into the alcohol.
  3. #3 SS/SB
    Re: \"Kitten Stove\" - Supplies
    outstanding! I already use the cat food stove but your version is only slightly heavier and it seems would be more heat/fuel efficient. I will be building one ASAP