WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Whitley Gap Shelter

Added by Youngblood
« Previous Image   |   Next Image »

Whitley Gap Shelter

Views: 10,531  

Filmstrip 
‹‹Whitley Gap   Gaffitti inside Whitley Gap  Whitley Gap Shelter

Description for Whitley Gap Shelter

Description by Youngblood

Youngblood

Whitley Gap Shelter is located 36.9 miles north of Springer and accomodates about 6 people. At 1.2 miles from the trail, most thru-hikers never go there. The side-trail to the shelter has some outstanding views and campsites in the first 0.2 mile, but no water until you go 0.3 mile beyond the shelter. This shelter and sidetrail are very popular with the locals who 'know about it'.

Comments for Whitley Gap Shelter (3)

1. #1 Rain Man
    We skipped the 2.5 mile round-trip side trip to this shelter, so I appreciate the photo. It looks so real in this fog. Also, it looks just like the close by Low Gap Shelter in style and construction.

I understand the shelter has a mouse problem and from a hunter I understand it has its own resident bear locally. Any idea if these are true or just rumors?

Thanks for the pic!

Rain Man
  2. #2 Youngblood
    I have no knowledge about the local residents, but I would expect a mouse or two or three and maybe even a bear. Yes, Low Gap and Tray Mountain Shelters in Georgia have the same design as well as the 'old Springer Shelter' that is now at Black Gap on the approach trail from Amicalola SP.
  3. #3 bloodmountainman
    Re: Whitley Gap Shelter
    Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood
    I have no knowledge about the local residents, but I would expect a mouse or two or three and maybe even a bear. Yes, Low Gap and Tray Mountain Shelters in Georgia have the same design as well as the 'old Springer Shelter' that is now at Black Gap on the approach trail from Amicalola SP.
    I'm one of the locals up here ,and this is one of my favorite spots! Makes for a great hunting cabin!