WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

New Boy Scout Shelter

Added by Kerosene
« Previous Image   |   Next Image »

New Boy Scout Shelter

Views: 6,991 [+] Larger Image  

Filmstrip 
‹‹Catawba Shelter   Campbell Shelter  New Boy Scout Shelter  Punchbowl Shelter

Description for New Boy Scout Shelter

Description by Kerosene

Kerosene

The new Boy Scout Shelter as of October 2003. Located only a mile from the main road up Catawba Mountain and photogenic McAfee Knob, this shelter replaces an old metal monstrosity and is likely to become Party Central. Next NOBO water is at Catawba Shelter about a mile up the mountain. Next SOBO water is Four Pines Hostel.

Comments for New Boy Scout Shelter (3)

1. #1 Hikerhead
    This has been renamed the "John's Spring Shelter" According to the RATC website, a new trail 1/2 way to the privy goes to the right to a good water source. That must be a new water source also as the old one was on a trail that went to the left of the privy to a very small unreliable creek.
  2. #2 Uncle Wayne
    Looks like another shelter constructed with "mice proofing" in mind.
  3. #3 ALL DAY
    Good to see a roof on it. In August, I was finishing up a section Hike from Delaware Water Gap and on the last day into Four Pines hostel. I get caught in a hail Storm! I high-tail it to this shelter with just the deck built.
    With gumball sized HAIL BOUNCING OFF MY BALD HEAD,I saw the well roofed privy and hung out. The place looks much nicer.
  4. #4 TakeABreak
    It does lok a lot nicer than what was there in 2000, but I do not understand why some clubs replace shelters that are so close to a road. Especially here with all of the traffic up and down McAffee Knob. Putting it south of the road would have been much better, less traffic through there, no water, but it would have still been a better choice.
  5. #5 mikec
    Re: New Boy Scout Shelter
    This shelter looks alot better than the old one.