WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Lunch!

Added by bigcranky
« Previous Image   |   Next Image »
Views: 3,161  

Filmstrip 
‹‹Maxwell House Can Pot System   Dinner Trail In Va, 2006  Lunch!  Food Bag System For No Bear Area Only!

Description for Lunch!

Description by bigcranky

bigcranky

My favorite trail lunch: the sweet and spicy tuna packet, a hunk of cheese, a tortilla, and a couple of mayo packets. Quick, easy, and tasty.

Comments for Lunch! (4)

1. #1 SOLcreature
    Re: Lunch!
    I was under the impression that all cheeses need to be refrigerated? Every string cheese I find needs refrigeration, what brand do you use?
  2. #2 bigcranky
    Well, that's an interesting question. Cheese was originally a way to store milk without refrigeration, after all. I'm happy to carry cheese for several days in my pack, and it's fine. A good sharp cheddar lasts the longest, but even the little red mini-bells will last a couple of days in the summer. Yes, the cheddar gets greasy and soft. Still tastes pretty good. Yes, I carry string cheese for days in my pack, and I'm still alive. YMMV.In the winter, of course, most any cheese will last a while.
  3. #3 Valley Girl
    I am grateful that I acquired a taste for tuna!
  4. #4 Kerosene
    I do the same, but with a pita pocket instead of the tortilla. One of my favorite lunches. No need to refrigerate hard cheeses; I've gone a few weeks in cool-ish weather without refrigeration.