WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Sign in Greenwood Lake, NY

Added by The Old Fhart
« Previous Image   |   Next Image »

Sign in Greenwood Lake, NY

Views: 6,570 [+] Larger Image  

Filmstrip 
‹‹Plaque on Avery Peak, Bigelow Mountain   Gulfside sign on Mount Washington  Sign in Greenwood Lake, NY  Sign on Old Speck, Maine, 1983

Description for Sign in Greenwood Lake, NY

Description by The Old Fhart

The Old Fhart

Greenwood Lake, NY, wasn't a bad spot to get some supplies. This Sign in Greenwood Lake told an interesting story. I remember reading about the experiments in an old issue of Popular Science Magazine.

Comments for Sign in Greenwood Lake, NY (1)

1. #1 MOWGLI
    I spent most weekends during my youth in Greenwood Lake. Then I lived in Warwick, NY from 1989 - 2003. I passed this sign every day on my way to work. What they did was take the rocket out onto the ice on a frozen Greenwood lake, and shot the rocket over the state line.

The AT follows Bearfort Ridge above Greenwood Lake for quite a few miles. If you are hiking north and stay at the Wawayanda Shelter, you pass Greenwood Lake on the day you hike out of the shelter. If you are hiking south, you hike past Greenwood lake the day you leave Wildcat Shelter.

BTW, Babe Ruth spent quite a bit of time raising hell in Greenwood Lake back in the 30s. Some of the establishments have photos of him on th walls, and some of the old timers still tell stories about the Bambino. So... for all of you Red Sox fans, the ghost of the Bambino still haunts Greenwood Lake.
  2. #2 middle to middle
    So did I ! Lived there in70's, commuted to NYC over that mountain many times, That is where I got my interest in the trail, picked up several hikers on grocery runs to Warwick. Did not know about Babe, When I was there I knew Jim Bouton and got in Yankee locker room once as a guest of his, met Roger M, Micky M, and Yogi. I blame all my ills on the toxic dump in tuxedo and the space ship visits there ! (ha)