WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Apple House Shelter

Added by SmokyMtn Hiker
« Previous Image   |   Next Image »
Views: 4,096 [+] Larger Image  

Filmstrip 
‹‹View Of Watauga In The Morning   The Holiday Inn - Old Shelter (unused)  Apple House Shelter  Rufus Morgan Shelter

Description for Apple House Shelter

Description by SmokyMtn Hiker

SmokyMtn Hiker

Passing by on a day from Yellow Mtn Gap to Hwy 19E

Comments for Apple House Shelter (6)

1. #1 darkage
    Re: Apple House Shelter
    Whats the date of this photo? ... The guy sitting inside the shelter "lives" there, he was staying there when i passed through 2 years ago ... he heads into town, resupply's and returns ... I think he's been there the entire time ..... I know its him, listening to him ramble on for a few hours i can't forget his face ....
  2. #2 SmokyMtn Hiker
    I just took this photo yesterday 3/13/11 and I wondered about him. I even told my wife when I showed her this photo I thought something was strange about him because of the conversation we had and the way he acted. I asked him where he was from and he didn't really give a definite answer and started nameing off people he knew in that area but it could have been a made up story.
  3. #3 darkage
    Yeah, same guy. I'm convinced he lives there. I rolled through 2 years Ago and he's still there. He said at the time he hiked the trail on social security money. Sad really.
  4. #4 Frog
    I did not see him when i came threw last year. The shelter is too close too a road crossing and needs too be replaced at another location.
  5. #5 SmokyMtn Hiker
    Good location if it wasn't so close to the hwy, the water source is plentifull and the overall surroundings were nice. This is also one of the reasons I choose not to stay in shelters that are to close to road crossings, they become party places and homes for the homeless sometimes.
  6. #6 SmokyMtn Hiker
    I guess as many of you may know this shelter has been removed. I understand that homeless people such as the man you see in the photo that Darkage inquired me about is a big reason why. Shelter this close to major highways I assume will always attract party go-ers and homeless people, thats another good reason to avoid them and keep moving on.