WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

MountaineerFallsShelter

Added by cabeza de vaca
« Previous Image   |   Next Image »

MountaineerFallsShelter

Views: 3,718 [+] Larger Image  

Filmstrip 
‹‹MountaineerFallsShelterinteriorleft   MountaineerFallsShelterapproach  MountaineerFallsShelter  MountaineerFallsInteriorfront

Description for MountaineerFallsShelter

Description by cabeza de vaca

cabeza de vaca

New Mountaineer Falls Shelter 16OCT2006. Thank Bob Peoples for such a great place to rest.

Comments for MountaineerFallsShelter (6)

1. #1 refreeman
    Re: MountaineerFallsShelter
    It’s a beauty. I’m always happy to see a double decker.
  2. #2 Pokey2006
    Great job! I hiked past while they were working on it; wow, was that a sight to see! Glad it came out so well.
  3. #3 Tennessee Viking
    This is my new home. Love the shower. Just wish it had warm water.

Just think the TEHCC hiked all that in.
  4. #4 Kerosene
    What milepoint is this shelter located at, or between what landmarks?
  5. #5 sarge95
    between Walnut Mtn Rd and Elk River.
  6. #6 Kerosene
    I ended up staying at Mountaineer Shelter in late October 2008 after a 25-mile day from Hampton. I was originally planning to stay at the Moreland Gap Shelter, about 8 miles to the north, but a frigid wind was blowing into the shelter and it was supposed to snow and drop into the mid-20's overnight. Fortunately, the Trail was very level and easy for those 8 miles, with much of it winding through rhododendron and mountain laurel. Unfortunately, it started snowing at dusk and I still had an hour to walk. Walking with a headlamp while it's snowing is like trying to drive with your high beams on in a blizzard.

The shelter is very nice, with its own carved bear totem in one corner. I awoke to 4" of fresh powder that made for a short, pleasant walk to Mountain Harbour B&B.