WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Boardwalk in Vernon, NJ

Added by MOWGLI
« Previous Image   |   Next Image »

Boardwalk in Vernon, NJ

Views: 5,655  
by MOWGLI

Filmstrip 
‹‹Another look at the boardwalk   Boardwalk & bridge in New Jersey  Boardwalk in Vernon, NJ  NJ culvers gap ascent

Description for Boardwalk in Vernon, NJ

Description by MOWGLI

MOWGLI

This photo was taken on a beautiful fall day in early December 2003.

Comments for Boardwalk in Vernon, NJ (1)

1. #1 Pencil Pusher
    The 10 is for all these boardwalk photos. Man that was quite a bit of volunteer labor! What an effort and end result. Thanks for telling this bit of history.
  2. #2 Happy Feet
    Ditto, Pencil Pusher. As a trail maintainer I agree. There had to have been a lot of hours put in!
  3. #3 MOWGLI
    From what I understand, over 40000 volunteer hours were involved with this project!

One thing I always wondered.... Notice how the boardwalk is serpentine? Was this done for some engineering reason (the area freezes hard) or just for aesthetic purposes?
  4. #4 wilderness bob
    If you hike over it in the summer, you should check out the maintainer pushing the lawn mower to keep the edge clear at ground level. I stopped and thanked him personally, he was busting his asterisk. By far one of my favorite man made sections of the entire AT (this and the Foot Bridge over the James River). Thank you, thank you and if I haven't mentioned it, Thank you to all those who put in the hours on such a beautiful project. WB.